HELP Powerstroke Acts Like Running Out of Fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP Powerstroke Acts Like Running Out of Fuel

Hey Everyone... I'm new member .. I've never done this before but I need help with my 2002 F-350 7.3 Liter Powerstroke. My truck is starting to act like it is running out of fuel when their is gas in the tank. It only occurs on inclines. I just replaced the fuel filter and there was a lot of sand at the bottom of the bowl. I took it to my mechanic who has the same exact year and engine as my truck. Oddly enough, he is currently having the same problem as myself (although he said he didn't notice until I pointed it out that it occured on an incline) .. He just got done spending a lot of money & time trying to figure out what the problem was. Changed injectors, icp sensor, fuel pump, etc. Finally took it to the dealership to get a diagnosis and they said that the fuel sending unit needs to be replaced and is getting air in it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem on going up hills or on incline. Its an expensive part to put in so I was wondering if anyone had any cheaper suggestions before I try that. It seems as though it would have to deal with the fuel tank since it only happens on an incline.

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 AM

Try the hutch mod

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonbrad View Post
Hey Everyone... I'm new member .. I've never done this before but I need help with my 2002 F-350 7.3 Liter Powerstroke. My truck is starting to act like it is running out of fuel when there is gas in the tank.
Well there's your problem.....

Seriously, getting into the tank is a great idea, it's not uncommon for the pick-up in there to fail and allow air to enter the system, through a crack, starting at @1/4 tank. Does this happen when full too?

If I found "sand" in the filter housing, dropping the tank would be on my list anyway
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is this only when trying to crank or also when you are already running? For example, does it only do it when parked on a hill or also if you are at a redlight on a hill or driving up a hill?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Try cleaning the pu screen in the tank. Mine was clogged. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel sending unit, powerstroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.