brake light came on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brake light came on

I went out to the truck this afternoon and observed the brake light on (the light for emergency brake). I checked the fluid level and it looked good.
I had to drive it home and the brakes stopped just fine.

I tried to find info with a search and found that we have a hydroboost (I was thinking somethine like that may be involved with this big truck and deisel to boot). I saw where someone said an old timer told him to mash the brake pedal twice and start the truck. That did not work for me... Tried it several times.

The pedal does feel a little weird. I will push it down medium hard and it will push back up at me. And it I push hard, it will mash down lower that I think it should.

As for the light indication... When I turn the key on, all the lights test on and go off like expected. I start the truck and the brake light comes back on immediately as I am cranking the engine.

Any leads to what is going on?

Do we have a tech thread to help with any proceedures that I may need to perform?

Thanks in advance all,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check your power steering fluid for being burnt smelling. Mine did the same thing once the power steering fluid (ATF) burnt up. I ended up replacing the power steering pump and bleeding the whole system out. I am up in Ludowici if you want some help.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM

Thanks Zombie,

I will check it out tomorrow hopefully.

Is it an easy task to drain and replace? Any warning to take into consideration?

Mike
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
live for the now

It's not too hard, just requires an extra hand when bleeding out all old fluid. Also when bleeding the system it helps to have front tires off the ground and truck must be turned off during whole bleeding process ( sawing wheel back and forth from lock to lock untill clean fresh clean fluid comes out). I think it took me 8 quarts to bleed whole system out.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM

I don't drive the truck much, but I did just order a trailer early this week.

Is it possible the P/S pump is damaged now?

What fluid id recommended? I see ATF, but dextron (which version) or type F. Thanks for the amount, I know to buy 2 gallons !

I will try to look the pump over today between work projects to see if I can figure out how this is done. My neighbor is probably capable of helping me. But if you are looking for a reason to visit the coast, let me know. There will be beer here! on tap (Shocktop right now in the box).

Thanks for the info...

Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer View Post
I don't drive the truck much, but I did just order a trailer early this week.

Is it possible the P/S pump is damaged now?

What fluid id recommended? I see ATF, but dextron (which version) or type F. Thanks for the amount, I know to buy 2 gallons !

I will try to look the pump over today between work projects to see if I can figure out how this is done. My neighbor is probably capable of helping me. But if you are looking for a reason to visit the coast, let me know. There will be beer here! on tap (Shocktop right now in the box).

Thanks for the info...

Mike
I don't think it is bad, but is it leaking? These pumps leak around the housing and when they start to leak they pour. There is an o ring that fails that I don't think is user replaceable. Dextron V is what I used. I did mine by myself and had no problems. Here is a video Trey shows you how to do it step by step. It's not hard.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Silly question, but did you check your e-brake pedal to see if it is up all the way? Are you getting a "ding" ever now and again?

I ask because my e-brake assembly isn't working right now. I need to replace it. Because of that, the pedal periodically 'droops' causing the light to come on and the ding.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
live for the now

Mine actually just basically started to stop making pressure from just being worn out and old and the added weight of 35's quickly killed them.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Silly question, but did you check your e-brake pedal to see if it is up all the way? Are you getting a "ding" ever now and again?

I ask because my e-brake assembly isn't working right now. I need to replace it. Because of that, the pedal periodically 'droops' causing the light to come on and the ding.
Good question, but the Ebrake is good. The light actually goes out with KOEO.

And I do get a chime about 3 seconds after the engine starts.

I am going to look to do a fluid change on Sunday probably. I am just not sure about the video. The return hose is taken off the pump and another hose put on it? Which is what pushes fluid out into the bucket? I thoought I would block the port off coming into the resevior, and take that hose and pump into the bucket.

Hmmmmmm, I will look it over before I start and any other inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.