Rough running when cold. Please Help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough running when cold. Please Help.

Hello everyone.
I have a late 99 PSD. When I start it after being allowed to cool off it runs kind of rough and smokes a lot. That's even if it has had the block heater plugged in.
Allowing it to warm up is almost embarassing as it smokes quite a bit. After say,10 minutes of warming up I will drive away and the truck feels like it it missing and as near as I can guess it feels as though it's only hitting on six cylinders.
I now take it down the street and put my foot into it. Then it will start to clear up and the smoke gets to be less and less. The truck runs fine once it's heated up.
Has anyone got any idea what might be causing this? I should also mention the smoke is kind of blue in color and basically smells like raw fuel or maybe half burnt kind of like the old caterpillar "c" series loaders when first started in the cold weather. Block heater is working. Please tell me it's nothing too serious because I really don't think I want to spend a whole lotta dough on a truck this age!
Just to clarify things the truck has about 180,000 miles on her. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

It could just be the EBP valve, but it shouldn't be smoking that much. The EBPV will give off a noticeable hiss and the power is reduced, this should go away once it reaches normal temp. Do you have gauges? What is the boost looking like, normal readings? Do you have any CEL, or SES lights on? Try cycling the key twice and on the second time wait for about 30 sec after the light goes out and start it up.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the knowledge. I will try cycling the key as you said.
The truck has a boost gauge but I honestly don't know where the boost should run to.
I only bought this truck a few weeks back and really know very little about diesel engines in pickups. I have been around trucks and heavy equipment most of my life but from the outside these things sure seem different.
There is no noticable hiss such as a wastegate opening or being stuck. This morning when I ran the truck it seemed fine so I suppose maybe it's going to be one of those intermittent type problems that are always so much fun to nail down. Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.