No Start/Tach shows 800 when cranking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start/Tach shows 800 when cranking

I went to start my truck this morning and had a no start issue that I haven't encountered before. The truck has always started great even in the cold, I do plug it in just to make it easier but today when I went out and tried to start it the truck just cranked and cranked. After the third time trying the truck finally did start but I shut it back off and tried again so that I didnt get stranded at work with it acting up and sure enough it would not start again. The odd part is while cranking the tach is bouncing around 800-1k mark. I did just replace my gray cps with a black one last week because I kept getting a #3 and #8 CCT failure (still failed but truck runs fine). The only other odd thing that has been happening the last couple days is that my edge cts will not power up until the truck is actually running.

I am trying to figure where all I should start looking at when I get home. I figured I would check the battery cables first since the positive side terminal has a crack on the passenger side battery. What are the other places I should be looking at? This morning it did seem like some relays under the dash kept cycling as I was trying to start it.
cory99 is offline  
post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Premium Member
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaff View Post
I went to start my truck this morning and had a no start issue that I haven't encountered before. The truck has always started great even in the cold, I do plug it in just to make it easier but today when I went out and tried to start it the truck just cranked and cranked. After the third time trying the truck finally did start but I shut it back off and tried again so that I didnt get stranded at work with it acting up and sure enough it would not start again. The odd part is while cranking the tach is bouncing around 800-1k mark. I did just replace my gray cps with a black one last week because I kept getting a #3 and #8 CCT failure (still failed but truck runs fine). The only other odd thing that has been happening the last couple days is that my edge cts will not power up until the truck is actually running.

I am trying to figure where all I should start looking at when I get home. I figured I would check the battery cables first since the positive side terminal has a crack on the passenger side battery. What are the other places I should be looking at? This morning it did seem like some relays under the dash kept cycling as I was trying to start it.
Did you try unplugging the Edge tuner & seeing if it made a difference?

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I tried that when it was acting up and trying to avoid any damage to the CTS if it was an electrical issue but still acted the same.

When I got home I forgot to check again to see if it was acting up but started by cleaning and tightening the battery cables. It started right up like normal after that so hopefully it was just the cables. I know I need to get a new positive cable since the passenger side terminal is cracked I had put a washer on it and was able to tighten it up but maybe over the last few months the crack has gotten worse allowing it to loosen up.

My OBD port still wont power up the CTS until it is started but I dont have any clue what would cause that.
cory99 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Premium Member
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaff View Post
I tried that when it was acting up and trying to avoid any damage to the CTS if it was an electrical issue but still acted the same.

When I got home I forgot to check again to see if it was acting up but started by cleaning and tightening the battery cables. It started right up like normal after that so hopefully it was just the cables. I know I need to get a new positive cable since the passenger side terminal is cracked I had put a washer on it and was able to tighten it up but maybe over the last few months the crack has gotten worse allowing it to loosen up.

My OBD port still wont power up the CTS until it is started but I dont have any clue what would cause that.
Check to see if the if there's a fuse for the OBDII. Also- how are the condition of your present batteries? Age? It might be underpowered all together. I had an issue with my old set of batteries. Sometimes the driver side would spark like there was a short & it wouldn't start correctly all the time or not at all. I replaced the batteries with Optimas & haven't had the problem since & that was 4yr ago.

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.


Last edited by RadarRider; 01-24-2013 at 05:19 AM.
RadarRider is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I will look into fuses, figured since it works once started it might just be something with the pcm.

Not sure on batteries I will have to check. I just bought the truck back in September and found the broken cable right away and the truck started great after that. I figured I would take the batteries and test them this weekend to see if one of them is weak.
cory99 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Premium Member
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaff View Post
I will look into fuses, figured since it works once started it might just be something with the pcm.

Not sure on batteries I will have to check. I just bought the truck back in September and found the broken cable right away and the truck started great after that. I figured I would take the batteries and test them this weekend to see if one of them is weak.
Sounds like a plan, brother! Let us know

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome