Truck Would not turn off. Clicking noises from relays under dash? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Would not turn off. Clicking noises from relays under dash?

I NEED HELP ASAP!!! I took my truck out this past saturday when the weaher cleared in NC after it sat most of the week through many rain storms and a little snow. I got in the truck saturday and both batteries were reading 1 V so i swapped out 1 of the batteries with a spare to get it started. Went to a customer's house and got out and kept hearing clicking or ticking noises while i was outside the truck when ignition was off. I finished up and got in the truck turned the key and no lights came on but cranked right up, the truck had power the entire time cause it had the glow plugs warmed. Going down the road some of the warning lights like airbag came on along with ticking noises. Get to the house turn the key off and out of the ignition, truck was still running. So i pulled a relay out from under hood. Could have been ICM or PCM. Truck shut off automatically. I then could hear ticking noises. Sounded like it was coming from behind dash where there is 3 relays (1 blue one and 2 other black ones i think). Both batteries are reading 13V at this point. I unhooked the batteries and kept that relay out cause i dont want it draining them again. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?????? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Clicking Relays are usually from low Voltage, to the coils inside them, caused by either bad Batteries or Bad Connections. The first thing I would do is to pull the batteries, fully charge them both up, and have them Load Tested at a High Rate (NOT those 100A testers the Parts Stores use, your Big Batteries need like a 300A Load). Your 13v test isn't a valid one, a battery can have good static voltage and be unable to handle any load.

You really need to have 2 good batteries in the cold, that's when they're really put-to-the-test... Never just replace one, get them both right, then Clean/Scrape/Grease/Tighten Both sides of all the cables.

I'd bet that'll take care of your problem
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Both batteries were replaced before this happened. All this happened after a heavy rain. I read that water can leak into the GEM? Which can cause this. The clicking was after the ignition was already off. It was getting power even though the ignition wasn't on. I did have a little puddle of water on my driver Side floor mat so water has to be causing some kind of problem but idk what.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM

OK, yea that could be the GEM then....

Look up, above the fusebox, for evidence of water coming from the bottom corner of the windshield (common to leak there). If the GEM is wet, there's almost no-end to what it will do to the electrical system. It unleashes Gremlins!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Is the gem something that will dry after sitting in clear weather or dry it myself or is it something ill have to replace?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 AM

I guess it would depend on the amount of time it was wet (so the amount of corrosion in there). Again, determine if it IS the problem first, but the GEM isn't going to just dry itself out and be fine I wouldn't think. You would have to open it up, dry it out with a hairdryer or something and look it over for signs if that corrosion.

Chances are, you're going to have to replace it though
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Where and what is the gem exactly? I haven't read enough about it to fully understand what it is where it is and what it does. Other than possibly causing me alot of problems
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM

The GEM (Generic Electronics Module) is up above the fusebox, not easy to see up there, Not cheap, and, despite its name, there are Many variants (depending on how they're programmed to run your particular trucks accessories).

Take the #'s off yours, Google it with "Ford GEM" and get an education
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and have a few questions along the same line as the original post. Recently I have also had the clicking under my dash which after reading other posts I'm figuring is a low voltage thing. Is this something that can be fixed with new batteries if I have them checked and they are bad? Also along with this is a random shut off interval of my interior lights when I shut the door with the truck off. Sometimes they shut off right away, other times they stay on for up to a minute. The most recent issue I have run into is the blower for the heater stayed on after the truck was off and ran the batteries dry. After I hooked up a trickle charger and eventually got the truck started, my "overdrive off" light is flashing on my shifter while the truck is running, and the speedometer was not registering, or going haywire. Is this all something that could be related to a low voltage issue? I've had the truck for almost a year and haven't had any issues like this until the last three months. But I only have the clicking problem about once a month over the last three.

2000 F350 7.3L
Thanks for any help you guys have.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Voltage issues can cause many problems.
Basically, you're answer is it can be that, or GEM, or other things like wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.