Having some problems modding my powerstroke and have some questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Having some problems modding my powerstroke and have some questions

ok for starters i bought my truck a year ago it has a 6.5 procomp with 35" terra grapers i have done alot of suspention work on the truck because it was flipped when i bought it but the truck runs and drives good now just found this site a few days ago and i have now done a DIY intake with a 3 inch pipe and a K&N filter that looks alot like the NAPA cylinder filter recomended, i did the 10k mod but with an 8.2k resistor, removed the foil from my IC piping, and cut out the zoodad hole. when i bought the truck the guy didn't do any of the stuff to it and he said it felt like it had a chip in it and he thought it did, it seemed pretty quick, and it had a 4" exhaust with muffler, i'm wanting to cut out the muffler and strait pipe it but the reason is i want more wistle with this make it louder causing me to loose wistle?, and with the new intake on this thing is really loud i can hear everything and when it shifts or i let off the gas the wastegate blow-by is really loud almost sounds like my filter is goign to explode. i also tried to take off the wastegate line from the actuator and i put it on the empty plugged plastic nipple on the actuator and nothing change or well i couldn't feel any change. could i put a Manual boost controller on it to set it around 28PSI and is running the high going to hurt anything and would i need other stuff like programming and extra fuel to do it, i know i would need the boost fooler for he computer but other then that. is my 8.2 k mod goign to hurt anythign it idels pretty high and rough and blows pretty black smoke but tonight when i got on it i threw a soft code that went away when i restarted it i know black smoke is pretty but doesn't it mean unburnt fuel causing worse gas milage. i have herd alot of guys that have trucks getting likw 22 MPG blowing black smoke and pushing major horse power how are they doing it. i know i just wrote a novel but like i said i'm kinda new to the powerstroke modding stuff. i work at a shop and know alot about cars and some about turboed cars but diesel is a new ball game any help would be great and any mod suggestions would be good too. oh yea my speedo is off due to tires and when it shifts its kinda gotten to where it shifts hard am i whereing out my tranny? are the shiftpoints different due to tiresize and they are whereing out my tranny? and is there anythign i can do to protect my tranny or fix it or make it stronger thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go with an aftermarket exhaust and it'll talk to ya.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Howdy and

for the exhaust I would recommend Gus at farmboy diesel Above. Has some good stuff and awesome prices! As far as straight piping the exhuast it will help bring the whistle out some. If you want a really noticable amount of whistle you can upgrade the compresor housing to an ats and add a wicked wheel which will also eliminate turbo surge!

For the DIY intake sounds like you have a decent setup so far but I would recommend dumping the K&N filter and going with another. K&N has had a bad rep on diesel engines for letting too much dirt by and ruining the turbo and "dusting" the motor.

Unless you have a chip you will never see anything over 16 +/- psi of boost. from the sounds of it you might already have a chip if it blows a decent amount of black smoke.
Diesel Movies - I install a DPTuner F5 chip in my buddies truck. Positions were Stock hi idle 60tow 80econo 120 race 140smoke.
here is a video detailing the install of a chip. you can use it as a reference to see if you already have a chip or not.

the 8.2k should not hurt anything. if you recieved a soft code it could of been icp related (pressure to high or low) which will happen if you are chipped or have the 10k mod. Or it could be defueling do to too much boost (if chipped)

My biggest recommendation is to get some gauges!! Pyro, tranny temp and boost!!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

28 PSI is to high for the factory turbo, anything above 25psi is working the stock turbo out of it's designed power level.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok ok ok

ok that all sounds good i will look for a chip and see if i can find one and on the exhaust i have an aftermarket system of some sort turbo back 4 in and it sounds really good and will wistel like a jet plane if it is just started int eh cold and is warming up but i was wandering if just cutting out my 4 in muffler and putting in a pipe will add wistle but will it also get really throughty that i can't even hear my turbo. now on the intake i read about K&N last night to and i think i'm goign to go with a different one but what is a good one to go with for just the filter and will they all sound like my intake is goignto blow up when it shifts or i let off teh gas hard after hard excelleration. and about the boost issue after i get gauges i was thinking about putting a manual boost controller on and alowign it to bleed off a little to get a little more boost are people doing that.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Boost relief valve is what you want.
For the air filter you have two choices. For the very best filtering go with the Ford AIS system, nothing will filter better and the 30% better air flow is a huge plus. If you want airflow go with the StageII system. Warning all the open element filters are quite loud, sounds like you like this!! The AIS will not increase the sound. I have the AIS/BTM/Zoodad combo and my truck flows all the air I need and I have never had a EGT problem.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what is the BTM
Old 11-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Walker BTM, it is a HUGE Muffler that is a straight shot 3.5", it will give you 80% of the benefits of a full 4" exhaust at 1/10th of the price. The factory muffler is the major restriction in the factory exhaust not the size of the exhaust pipe. AS I said before EGT's have never been a problem with my set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.