AE guru's for help with readouts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AE guru's for help with readouts

Hey Gang,

Have a few ?'s on Autoenginuity for you technically advanced feller's.

I was dealing with a leaking Fuel drain valve and filter oring and after fixing purple powered the upper valley and then hose rinsed the area. When i went to start i had a CEL with stuttering idle. Drove into town to the local auto parts wharehouse and had them hook up the code reader and they said it had no codes. I cleaned the ICP and dried it and the connector and the CEL disappeared as well as erratic idle. Ordered AE and got it today and when i pulled codes i got a p1280 and p1211 both icp low and high voltage codes. Truck is to this point running fine now other than when you first start it as has been since i pulled ICP = the CEL comes on and stays , after about 45 seconds the RPM will bounce quickly to 1000rpm and then resettle at 700 and the light goes off. Idle is still a wee bit choppy , maybe 675-725. All other sensors look normal. On some extended driving with long pulls at WOT i am seeing 3000'ish for ICP and avg Duty Cycle of 40% or so.

My pulse width for the injectors is reading low though i believe - usually at .14 - .20 even on the hard pulls i saw .48 once. Is it not supposed to have a PW of 2.5-3.5 ?

I was planning on ordering a new ICP and connector.

Forgive my ignorance , i look forward to learning to use AE but some of the numbers are just foreign to me at this point as to what they mean and i appreciate any help in learning as this site has been the bomb for help over the last 6 years.
Thanks for the input folks-
Attached is a data log of it driving in the neighborhood- mostly slowly 30-40 mph out here in the hill country. Numbers are in the hot tune - stock yielded the 3000/40 at extended WOT

bottom orange is PW / red is ICP / blue is duty cycle
Attached Thumbnails
AE guru's for help with readouts-01172013-2-.jpg  

Last edited by scagle1; 01-17-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Noticed today that CEL is from ICP being put in limp mode at start-up , reading 749psi at start , after about 45 seconds CEL goes out with quick RPM increase and then ICP readings are normal at 550'ish for idle. No CEL light again until truck is turned off and restarted.

Ideas ? Have a new ICP but hate to open bag if its a connection problem , Is there a way to test the harness ?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 AM

On my 6.0 the icp is higher under startup 800-1000 psi but once it gets warmed up it hovers just above 500psi. Cooler oil is thicker making more pressure and the more pressure is I feel is like automatic choke.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 AM

I appreciate that , but mine does not even fluctuate when you start it . ICP reading sits dead on 749 until the CEL goes off , then the readings fluctuate and move like normal after about 45 seconds when the RPM's do the quick jump and the CEL goes off and come down to 550'ish at idle. Isnt 750 what the computer defaults to when in limp mode for startup ?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 AM

Another thing about the 6.0 that might be in the 7.3 I'm not too sure. When you are tuned you need to look at ICP volts not pressure. The tune intercepts and tells the PCM a fake pressure to adjust perimeters accordingly. Have monitored your icp on your cold start-up using the graph. Try monitoring everything possible to see what is actually raising the rpm on cold startup. Heck it might even be written in a tune.

Sorry for blabbing, didn't get much sleep last nite due to sick kids
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Well i changed the ICP this morning and CEl is gone. Truck fired up fast compared to lately and it hasn't been slow to start by any means. I never got an ICP volt reading on the old one but the new is measuring 1.4'ish at idle cold. I got some good cold and hot baseline recordings to go off of for future reference. Glad its fixed but instead of just knowing what needs replacing i also like to know why it needs replacing. In my case i guess i shorted something out with the Purple Power cleaner but want to understand why it only shorted for the first 30-45 seconds the truck was started then was fine.
I appreciate the help RENTS, is the TDI due to a TDI ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.