1.05 amp draw when shut down? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1.05 amp draw when shut down?

I have been getting up each morning to weak batteries for the past few weeks, the truck still starts but not very energetically. My first thought was a leaky diode in the alternator, took off the positive battery cable and hooked up the volt meter then disconnected the alternator, still a 1.05 amp draw. I then pulled every fuse and checked the draw and the only two that made a difference was pulling the radio fuse under the hood which droped the amps down to below 10mA and pulling the CPU fuse under the dash which dropped it down to a 0.75 amp draw. Both of which I would expect to have some pull to keep the time and codes but not sure how much.

It has been cold here in Wyoming, around -12F each night but the truck is plugged in whenever its not running so it ususally starts. I am not sure if this 1.05 amp draw is normal and the problem exists somewhere else, the batteries are both new (less than 6 months) and the alternator is the same.

Just out of curiosity I tested my wifes GMC Yukon and it pulls 4.5 amps when shut off so I have a hard time thinking that my 1 amp will kill my battery over night. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
An AMP sounds a little high, bit not so high as to cause you trouble...

-12 is where Any problems in the major electrical system is going to show-up. First thing I would do is to have the batteries Load Tested, Individually, at a High Rate (NOT those 100A draw tester the Auto Parts Stores use, you have to LOAD TEST them at like 300A or so)

You could go over all the battery connections, both sides, clean/scrape/grease/tighten them. If all else looks good I'd next suspect a failing starter.

Also, your Draw Test, when are you performing this? You know it takes like a 1/2hr for everything to "sleep" and you need to wait that long, without disturbing anything, before you're going to get an accurate idea of what's going on overnight. I have a Very Basic truck, little in the way of electronic options, and I come down to like 200mA.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice, I have only done the weak Auto Zone type load test on the batteries. The terminal connectors on the batteries are not terrible but not perfectly clean either, could that cause this trouble?

The draw test I did was after the truck sat for 4 days so everything was shut down, I had the alternator out taking it around town getting it tested. My truck is alost all stock, not too many bells and whistles, only an XM radio thats added on.

I do have 230,000 miles on the truck and it is the origional stock starter. The starter may be the issue, I have replaced the stater solenoid located on the fender wall but not the one on the starter itself, maybe its getting weak.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The current demand is at it's highest when cold and the Glow Plugs have added their share of the load for the longest time (you're waiting longer than the WTS light tells you to with the key on - right?). So, Yes, the terminal ends (AND the eyelets that go the Grounds and starter/solenoid) could work OK for a normal starting load but not enough to carry what's needed at -12.

It isn't about 4 days, though... If you open the door, and the interior lights come on, to pull the hood latch - you've started the GEM. You need to wait 1/2hr from Then...

IF you have a problem with the Starter, if can be not only with the Bendix on top but the Brush/Commutator or the Armature windings. With 1/4M miles on it, it wouldn't be a Total Waste to buy a new one ( test everything else first though)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, I usually let the glow plugs run quite a bit longer than the light stays on, sometimes I will even cycle it twice when it is -25F or so. I will be sure to clean and grease the terminals again tonight to make sure they are as clean as I can get them.

That makes sense about GEM..... I did not think of that, so thank you. I may need to revise my methods and try it again. I will see how the truck acts over the next few days and keep testing and checking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.