Maybe a fuel pump going bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe a fuel pump going bad?

Yesterday I got into my truck after work and drove it on the highway and it was running fine. Then about halfway home the engine started to lose power. Luckily I was near an exit so I got off the highway. I got it on to a side street and then the engine just died. I coasted to a stop and let it sit for a minute. I got it started and the engine was running but extremely rough loud knocking . It would idle low then die. I was low on fuel and I noticed that the gas tank cap was missing. I had my girlfriend pick me up and I went to Wally world and got a gas cap and a gas can. I filled it up with some diesel and put it in the tank. The Ex started up knocking and smoking for bit then she ran great and I got it home with no problems.

Today I had to go pick up some furniture and the Ex started up and ran great. When I came back home I got to the turn to get to my house and the truck died again same scenario as yesterday. I got it home but she is still running rough with white smoke. I ran my auto scanner and there are no codes everything passed. When I turned the key to the on position in the driveway I noticed like a loud buzzing noise coming from the gas tank...

Would this be a faulty fuel pump?
Also since the gas cap was missing would dirt and sand getting in the gas tank mess it up? I did notice some sand around the gas cap area and where I live it is in the desert and it gets extremely windy here especially at night.
Would a bad CPS sensor cause this?
Also I notice some guys have been saying to check the wiring harnesses under the valve covers.
Just trying to get an idea where to start before I have to drop the gas tank which looks like it is a ***** to do on this truck since the Ex has a 44 galllon tank...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why was your fuel cap missing? did you fill the tank up? check/replace the fuel filter? If you checked the filter, what did it look like? Dirt could mess up the pump but if your fuel door was closed I don't see much getting in there.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Probly the pickup foot in the tank is messed up or clogged

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM

How much diesel did you put into it after it died. Sounds like you ran it low and got air in the fuel line then ran it low and got more air in your fuel line.if you are looking at fuel bowl from front of truck there are the fuel feed lines to the heads on the left of fuel bowl. Crack them open with a 15mm wrench and run your fuel pump to bleed most of the air out.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM

Avtrider: the fuel cap went missing I think since the last fill up I probably forgot to put it on. As far as the dirt getting in the hole I think some did because I saw dirt around the hole.... Realize where I live 50 to 75 MPH winds are not uncommon and it's in the middle of the desert which means tons of sand in the air with wind like that.

T Ray that is a good possibility since I heard the noisy buzzing sound

Erbilabuc that makes since I will give that a try.

Thanks for your replies guys!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Where do you live?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM

It's a neighborhood fittingly called windy point. It's a part of Palm Springs, CA but its about 3 miles from the actual town of PS. If you ever see commercials on tv for windmills, chances are they show the area where I live.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM

I lived in 29 palms for 7 years. Left in July of 2011
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM

It's still running terrible. I try to drive it and it drives for a bit then the engine loses power and dies... I even pulled the fuel filter cap off while it was running and it didn't spew over the bowl... It's got to a blocked or dead fuel pump..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM

After it dies it's hard to start then it finally starts and spews white smoke and runs terrible. Then I get it to drive and it runs loses power and dies. This sucks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.