No power and black smoke. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power and black smoke.

Ok powerstrokers I need some help. First of all my truck is a late 1999 F350 90,000. I bought it to pull my 24ft Jayco camper (4500lb) trailer. I recently compared it to my fathers 01, that is stock other than a KN filter and exhaust, and his almost twice the truck as mine. Heres my mods.
1. ATS turbo housing for turbo surge issues.
2. Cleaned EPS and tube from manifold.
3. S and B intake.
4. New batteries.
5. Intercooler boots checked and no obvious leaks found.

Symptoms.
1. Lack of power when pulling.
2. Black smoke, even with smaller flatbed trailer, during acceleration.
3. Smoke when accelerating when truck is cold. (unknown color)
4. Louder when engine is colder than warmer.
5. Cranks twice as long after wait light goes off than fathers PS. (relay has been checked.)

Mods for the next yr.
1. DP tuner
2. exhaust
3. bigger tranny cooler

Truck is scheduled to go in for a CCT this week and I am going to have GPs checked also. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. I am new to diesels so bare with me. John

Last edited by gacnik123; 01-13-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Do you have a way to monitor boost?

The main thing you need to do is get it hooked up to a scanner/monitor to see what is going on. You should watch things such as ICP, IPR duty cycle, MAP, etc...

It is normal for these trucks to be a little louder when they are cold compared to when they are at operating temp.

Make sure to watch ICP when cranking. The PCM needs to see 500psi before it will fire. This could be the issue for your longer cranking time.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do not have any way to monitor the boost yet. As money comes in, and I can afford it, I will be installing gauges. This week its going in for a buzz test, cct, and a scanner test. Are these buzz tests accurate? Also, when i read the voltage on the other side of the relay, it only was 9 volts. After I seen the voltage made it across I assumed the relay was OK, but shouldn't the voltage be near 12 volts like the battery side? Thanks for the reply. I really want this to be a good truck, but i know it has more to offer than this. John
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacnik123 View Post
I do not have any way to monitor the boost yet. As money comes in, and I can afford it, I will be installing gauges. This week its going in for a buzz test, cct, and a scanner test. Are these buzz tests accurate? Also, when i read the voltage on the other side of the relay, it only was 9 volts. After I seen the voltage made it across I assumed the relay was OK, but shouldn't the voltage be near 12 volts like the battery side? Thanks for the reply. I really want this to be a good truck, but i know it has more to offer than this. John
The buzz test is accurate when the truck is bone cold(hasn't ran for the day yet). Once the truck is up to temp it almost always passes the buzz test.

9 volts is very low. You are right on your assumption that it should be higher.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok then how about the CCT. does the engine need to be up to temp or cold? Plugs checked today and they only had .8 ohms. All checked ok. Pulled intercooler boots off and cleaned them and checked for any leaks. All ok. GRRR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.