3 Alternators in 75,000 miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 3 Alternators in 75,000 miles

I recently had the battery light come on a few days ago and noticed the interior dome lights getting dimmer the more the truck is driven. Well just tonight it did not start and we jumped it and it fired right up, but interior lights were slightly dim. I disconnected all battery terminals, adding some water to the batteries and started the truck up (this was shortly after it was jumped). I let in run with all the lights on for about 30 minutes and the battery gauge eventually dropped really low and the interior dash lights were very dim. All connections are good and when the truck intially started the battery gauge was normal, so it sounds like the alternator. The issue is that this alternator is only about 2.5 yrs old and the alternator before that lasted only 10,000 miles. What could be causing the alternators to go bad so quick? The two alternators were just stock so they are likely mostly rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 11:38 AM

How old are your batteries?

Are all your grounds connected? There's two ground straps on the back of my early '99, which can be seen by sticking your head under truck in front of rear wheel wells, that should be checked. I think they ground the body to the frame?

I had Sears put Monroe shocks on my rig and for some reason they disconnected these 2 grounds in the rear, but never re-connected them. I had several electrical problems until i found those straps disconnected. Cleaned up the contact points with wire wheel on a drill, primed that ground area, and re-connected.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 PM

I sure would like you to keep us posted my fathers 03 gets a new one every year they tell his its fairly common witch i think might be BS
Old 11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Next time it gets replaced put a new pully on the alternator and put a new belt on.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreuey View Post
I recently had the battery light come on a few days ago and noticed the interior dome lights getting dimmer the more the truck is driven. Well just tonight it did not start and we jumped it and it fired right up, but interior lights were slightly dim. I disconnected all battery terminals, adding some water to the batteries and started the truck up (this was shortly after it was jumped). I let in run with all the lights on for about 30 minutes and the battery gauge eventually dropped really low and the interior dash lights were very dim. All connections are good and when the truck intially started the battery gauge was normal, so it sounds like the alternator. The issue is that this alternator is only about 2.5 yrs old and the alternator before that lasted only 10,000 miles. What could be causing the alternators to go bad so quick? The two alternators were just stock so they are likely mostly rebuilt.

Do you have a snow plow in the winter?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Farrmboy

i was having alot of trouble with alternators until we started using Leece Neville on our big trucks , tractors, vac truck, etc. Since I started using them about 10 years ago we have not had to change another alternator.you can get them in massive amperage also. thesealternators save alot of headaches
Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
them telling you changing alternators once a year is crap i still have my stock alternator and my truck is almost 7 years old...

you might need to upgrade to a better/stronger alternator...

-Raul
Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
them telling you changing alternators once a year is crap i still have my stock alternator and my truck is almost 7 years old...

you might need to upgrade to a better/stronger alternator...

-Raul
you better knock on wood lol I went through three in 2 years 40kmiles or so. One was a factory ford the other two were napa. All rebuilt. dunno i dont think that a 110 amps is enough to be honest and they need more.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchey21 View Post
you better knock on wood lol I went through three in 2 years 40kmiles or so. One was a factory ford the other two were napa. All rebuilt. dunno i dont think that a 110 amps is enough to be honest and they need more.
lol no worries..ill be upgrading mine to a DC Alt. very soon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.