7.3 shaking, missfiring, smoking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
HillbillyDeluxe39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Marcos, Tx
Posts: 295
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 shaking, missfiring, smoking

Went to town this morning, I noticed my engine shaking at the stoplight, kinda like a big block with a big cam. When I left the store to head back home I noticed a sharp rattle that went along with engine RPM, then it began to pour white smoke all the way home.

Ive got AE and it gave me these codes.

P0603
P1212
P1248
P1211
P0541

Injector contribution test only showed #8 as being bad, which I expected.

Im not an expert with AE and thats were I need help, what sensors and what values should I look at in order to determine what has happened.

This is my daily driver so any help is appreciated.
__________________

2000 F250 CCSB 4x4
6637, Tony Wildman Tunes, HPx, Terminator HPOP, 6.0 IC, WW, 285/75R16 Hankook Dynapro AT's
HillbillyDeluxe39 is offline  
post #2 of 18 Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Winning DUHHH


 
Young-SC-Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunrise Beach, MO
Posts: 2,389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check your uvch's, and drain your fuel bowl, change fuel filter.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

99.5 F-350 SRW Short Bed, Ex Cab.
6637
Wicked Wheel'd,
Southbend
Autometer - Boost, Pyro
TW 6 Pos Chip
Water/Meth Inj
Diamond Eye 4" TB

7 year Veteran with SBFD
Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Head Marine Technician

Dont Tread on Me
Young-SC-Owner is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-SC-Owner View Post
Check your uvch's, and drain your fuel bowl, change fuel filter.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
This.
carolinaboy02powerstroke is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
HillbillyDeluxe39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Marcos, Tx
Posts: 295
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update.

This morning I checked the ICP for oil in the plug, didn't find any.
I poked around the IPR and the "coil" I'm assuming, part that the plug goes into, was loose within the regulators body.
I pushed on the UVCH plug and it seemed to move in about a 1/16 of an inch on both sides.
Used AE did a buzz test on the cold engine, everyone buzzed ok.
Fired right up, no smoke, air temp was around 55*, had a noticeable miss in the exhaust note, and a slightly rough idle.
Warmed up went for a drive, monitored with AE, everything was within parameters.
Never smoked one bit, it did however miss a few times in the 80 horse tow tune.
Stock setting, HPOP hit 2600-3000 psi
Coolant temp sensor was erratic, showing 39* then 270* it was all over the place.

Thoughts...

2000 F250 CCSB 4x4
6637, Tony Wildman Tunes, HPx, Terminator HPOP, 6.0 IC, WW, 285/75R16 Hankook Dynapro AT's
HillbillyDeluxe39 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bad thermostat maybe, in regards to the erratic temps ? I really have no clue.
carolinaboy02powerstroke is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
JJFLASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: unvrhrdofit, SK
Posts: 7,196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There are more than one UVCH plug. Are you familiar with that system?


-JJ-

Mine - 94.5 F250 ZF5: Basics w/a few extras, DIY bumper, steps and exhaust, AFEII, D60, PMF 2.25 RSK, V-codes
Hers - 04 GM 2500 CCSB 4x4: LB7, EFI Live by KW, 2" Lift, MBRP 4" dp back
RIP 15/08/23- 98 GM 1500 ECSB 4x4: 6.5, straight pipe, K+N filter, 495km w/original pump, trans & t-case
JJFLASH is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
There are more than one UVCH plug. Are you familiar with that system?
What he said. One on each head under the valve covers.
carolinaboy02powerstroke is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
HillbillyDeluxe39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Marcos, Tx
Posts: 295
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found both of them, where the valve cover meets the head, I pushed them both in just a little, I didn't look under the VC but I'm preparing to do the 50 cent mod today, so well see. The truck acts nothing like it did yesterday so.... As for the temp, research shows that the ECM outputs a floating signal to AE, the sensor is only there for the dash gauge.
Thanks for the help guys.

I find myself wanting the injectors to be bad so I have a reason to replace with some stage 1's...

Good looking truck carolinaboy, I always wanted one that color.

2000 F250 CCSB 4x4
6637, Tony Wildman Tunes, HPx, Terminator HPOP, 6.0 IC, WW, 285/75R16 Hankook Dynapro AT's
HillbillyDeluxe39 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe39 View Post
I found both of them, where the valve cover meets the head, I pushed them both in just a little, I didn't look under the VC but I'm preparing to do the 50 cent mod today, so well see. The truck acts nothing like it did yesterday so.... As for the temp, research shows that the ECM outputs a floating signal to AE, the sensor is only there for the dash gauge.
Thanks for the help guys.

I find myself wanting the injectors to be bad so I have a reason to replace with some stage 1's...

Good looking truck carolinaboy, I always wanted one that color.
Preciate it. It's been a good one and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's been my daily driver for the last 3 years and it'll be a weekend truck here in about 6 months once I get a company vehicle.
carolinaboy02powerstroke is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Winning DUHHH


 
Young-SC-Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunrise Beach, MO
Posts: 2,389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe39 View Post
Update.

This morning I checked the ICP for oil in the plug, didn't find any.
I poked around the IPR and the "coil" I'm assuming, part that the plug goes into, was loose within the regulators body.
I pushed on the UVCH plug and it seemed to move in about a 1/16 of an inch on both sides.
Used AE did a buzz test on the cold engine, everyone buzzed ok.
Fired right up, no smoke, air temp was around 55*, had a noticeable miss in the exhaust note, and a slightly rough idle.
Warmed up went for a drive, monitored with AE, everything was within parameters.
Never smoked one bit, it did however miss a few times in the 80 horse tow tune.
Stock setting, HPOP hit 2600-3000 psi
Coolant temp sensor was erratic, showing 39* then 270* it was all over the place.

Thoughts...
As for your coolant temp sensor, replace it or look at the wiring, sounds like its either bad or wiring has chaffed. It's cheap just replace it. There is connections under the valve covers to check too. Third thing you can do is start the truck and whole it's idling wiggle the uvch plugs and see if something happened. And lastly just for gigs, disconnect your coolant temp sensor and see what your monitor reads. While running like before


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

99.5 F-350 SRW Short Bed, Ex Cab.
6637
Wicked Wheel'd,
Southbend
Autometer - Boost, Pyro
TW 6 Pos Chip
Water/Meth Inj
Diamond Eye 4" TB

7 year Veteran with SBFD
Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Head Marine Technician

Dont Tread on Me
Young-SC-Owner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome