Cold start problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Cold start problem

My truck has quite some miles on it so it does tend to be a bit hard to start when it is cold. That being said, it's never been like this...

First, the things I have done in the past year or less while working on other maintenance items to help rule out what the problem isn't:
- replaced GPs and GPR as well as checked that GPR is actually providing voltage
- replaced the IDM (now carry an extra spare in the truck)
- replaced injectors (went to stg1 single shot) and fuel pump

Now for the problem. When it is cold, and only when it is cold (40F), the truck will not start. Regardless of whether it is plugged in or not. The truck turns over and batteries are fully charged, it just won't catch. The problem is somewhat intermittent, but worse the colder it is. Below 40F it is almost impossible to start. While trying to start and motor turning over, I can hear a relay clicking repeatedly behind the dash (where the radio is) - I think this is where the 5 light relays are. When I hear the relay clicking, I know for sure the truck isn't going to start. I can wait some time and try again and when the relay clicking doesn't happen, the truck always catches.

It happened to me again this morning and I had my laptop and AE handy, so I quickly ran the KOEO test and came back with two codes:

P0605 - Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error
P1668 - PCM/IDM Communications Error

I think I've had the P0605 error before since I got a chip, but I definitely haven't seen the P1668 error and it doesn't show when the truck starts.

Here's a youtube video of what it sounds like when it won't catch:

Do I have a bad IDM yet again or should I be looking at the ECU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM

unplug your chip then try to start it
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Truck won't start without a chip on single shot injectors.

That being said, putting the truck batteries on a charger while plugging in the heater at night seemed to help. I think this may be just the batteries running down a bit (I only drive the truck once every week or two). I'm going to permanently wire in a Battery Tender and T it off the heater plug and put a switch on the heater. That way I can charge whenever the batteries are low just by plugging in an extension cord.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

40 isnt really "cold"... when my batteries were going out last year the truck was hard to start even when plugged in and about 10 degrees but still fired up.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermcd View Post
40 isnt really "cold"... when my batteries were going out last year the truck was hard to start even when plugged in and about 10 degrees but still fired up.
Agreed with this!
40 Degrees, sitting over night - should fire right up.
When you're starting and your gauges start going nuts - I think you have a battery/charging issue.
Take your batteries in for a load test. Just because you have 12v fully charge - don't mean you have diddaly for AMPS...
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Batteries are fine. They're both optimas red tops about 10 months old. Just the same, I pulled them and tested them on a carbon pile tester - both tested like champs.

I have been a little skeptical of the battery wiring on the truck though. The exposed strands on terminals are dirty (not really corroded, just dirty-nasty). I got under the truck and ends where the grounds bolt up as well as the starter look equally filthy. I went ahead and ordered new 1/0 gauge copper wire as well as new heavy duty terminals for everything. I'll run all new ground and battery wiring and see if I have a poor connection on a ground or hot side. While I'm at it, i'll inspect the IDM ground connection as well. The code thrown seemed to suggest the IDM is not powering up when the condition is present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.