99 F350 7.3 Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 99 F350 7.3 Dually

Please help. To start with, I know nothing about trucks. When it has a problem I take it to the 'guy' - a mechanic in my town. So with that in mind, please be gentle.

Let's start about 2-3 years ago, my overdrive light starts flashing, truck 'sounds' funny but still goes. After a few trials of different things I found that before turning over, I have to wait for the 'ding ding' of the glowplug preheat to finish and then wait for the radio to come on, then I can turn it over. The problem is intermittent so it doesn't always happen. If I don't wait, the speedometer doesn't work, o/d light flashes and truck 'seems' funky. In this time I have taken it to Ford on several occasions and different locations as well as asked other mechanics - they cannot seem to replicate the problem nor find what it is. So I have lived with this, it just takes me a little longer than everyone else start my truck. I tell you this in case it is indeed something or if you have any ideas.

In the last year, I have had to replace the 2 batteries only to find that was not the problem, the alternator was. I had been to Napa, autozone and O'reilly's and run through their scans as well as an diesel repair shop. After getting a dud brand new one from O'reilly's, which they did replace and is now working fine, still caused a few headaches in the mean time. A week later the truck starts shaking violently while driving I took it to the diesel repair shop again and had to replace the (excuse my ignorance) knuckle looking thing under the truck right in the middle (forgive me and can't remember what it was but apparently is was major).
Finally it seems I am at rest, quite a few dollars spent but the old girl seems to be running fine.
Now, 2 days ago. Hubby starts truck and it just dies. No gauges, nothing. We take it to our guy via trailer, while unloading they notice a diesel leak from underneath, they changed seals on something and it seemed fixed they check everything on the scanner and all is good. It idled fine then he took it for a test drive and it dies. He had a ford tech friend of his come over after hours last night and even he couldn't find a fault. The diagnosis is that now the computer needs replacing, we don't have a quote on that just yet (we just got the news) but I assume it's the big bucks. Before we look into that, I wanted to see if you guys had anything similar.
It's a sketchy history I know and I apologize. I have only just stopped crying my eyes out at this recent news. I have had my truck for 10 years now and I am kind of attached beside the fact that now is not really a good time to be spending so much freaking money. Please any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Engine Light

I just wanted to add, just before the truck stalled for hubby the first time, the engine light came on.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

when the overdrive light was flashing, do you recall what they said the codes were, assuming they scanned it? flashing overdrive indicates a transmission problem, that along with the engine light makes me wonder what the codes were for both.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The several places I took it too couldn't get codes because it wouldn't do it while in their shop. It only happens say, one in sixty starts. It is just random. I have had the transmission replaced twice, 4 years ago and 6 years ago. For most of the trucks life it has hauled a 44ft RV and it being a 4x4 had used it to pull a few RV's out of a mud sludge. I haven't hauled the trailer for the last 2 years and the truck does unloaded short runs to work.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a strong suspicion based on similar past experience that the issue very well may be main ECM/fuse panel under dash. I had all kind of crazy electrical issues including, but not limited to those you describe. Vehicle seemed totally possessed, out of control with the myriad of strange seemingly chaotic, unrelated, inconsistent issues. During one heavy rainstorm I heard crazy commotion outside and found truck running, starter grinding, lights flashing, horn blowing, with no key even in ignition. Had to disconnect batteries to get it to turn off. WHAAAAAAATTTTT!!!
After scouring forums like this one, I noted many contributions referring to leaking windshield as culprit time and time again on these. Pulled dash open and did water flow testing over top of windshield only to reveal dripping directly onto top of ECM/Fuse Panel. Pulled ECM/Fuse Panel to find corrosion, green discoloration on pins. Had windshield professionally pulled and replaced, then got correct ECM/Fuse Panel model for little money, swapped it out and......MIRACLE!!! NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES SINCE!!!!
Obviously, this may not be your problem, but the test to eliminate it as the cause or contributor is pretty painless and worth the investment of your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, dually, f350, powerstroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.