Rattle (TC??) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rattle (TC??)

So, my rig has developed a rattling sound when coming to a stop and it will continue while stopped. The rattle does not start until I get down to about 5mph and goes away right away upon acceleration. It does not happen all the time either, somedays its more frequent than others, but pretty unpredictable. The other morning I was at a stop light and it was rattling rather loudly so I slipped it into neutral and the sound did not go away or change much at all.

I have found an unused OEM TC on craigslist for next to nothing. Would it be smart to just throw in the new TC and ride it out? The noise has only began with in the last month or so (only 300 miles). Otherwise the transmission shifts just fine and has given me no issues what so ever.

BTW, does anyone know what the OEM part number is for the TC for the 4R100? I want to cross reference that OEM number to the one that should be stamped on this craigslist find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Could it be a broken flexplate? What kind of issues or sounds does a broken flexplate make? What about loose up-pipes/collector? The starter is new last month, so it should not be causing issues, but anything it's possible I guess.

I cannot get the darned inspection cover off the bottom of the flexplate as the bolts are TIGHT. I have rounded one slightly and couldn't get much leverage so I figured I'd hit it again tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's the converter. Sound anything like these?
WHAT IS THIS NOISE 7.3 SUPER DUTY - YouTube
f250 7.3 torque converter - YouTube
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Can't confirm if it sounds like that or not because mine does not do it in Park. At least not yet. Can anyone post a clip or describe what a broken flexplate sounds like?

I did receive a "new" TC the other day. Now I have questions about it. It is a factory Ford diesel 4R100 TC with 0 miles on it. The issue is that it has sat on a shelf for the past 8-10 years. The plastic cap has been on it the entire time and it is full of fluid. Is there anything I can do to check the operation of this "new" one before I get it installed? Shop down the street says they'll R&R the TC for $400 and if I get them a flexplate they do that while they are in there too. The outside of this TC has some surface rust but the shaft is in excellent condition. The fluid in the TC is perfect looking, not dark or burnt smelling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Mod Newbie

Here is another link.

Can't tell you if the converter is good that you bought. I will say this, there were a lot of the 7.3 Super Duties that had converter rattle. Pretty safe bet that a converter will fix your issue. I understand wanting to make 100% sure though.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an early 99 that had the TC rattle. A new converter fixed the issue. It is a very common problem with the converters through 2001 i think. There is alot of reading out there about this issue. I noticed that it would rattle the loudest right when the TC started to lock up. Not saying this is your problem, but it is common.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 AM

SOLVED!!!

First off, now I feel like a big 'ol tard. The sound was hearing was my transfercase skidplate coming into slight rubbing metal on metal contact with the bottom of my transfercase. Ever since I got the truck I noticed the skidplate was kind of "formed" to the bottom of the transfercase (bent up on one side following the contour of the transfercase). I dropped the skidplate and saw a nice clean contact patch whereas all the paint and rust had been removed. Straightened out the skidplate, re-installed, and now my rig is MUCH quieter now. I evidently had a slight rubbing sound that I had tuned out that is now noticeably missing.

Now I've got a flexplate and torque converter that I'll have to keep on the shelf and hope I'll never need.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Mod Newbie

Glad it's fixed. Sucks you're stuck with parts though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.