Wtf is wrong with my truck??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wtf is wrong with my truck???

I had my cam position sensor go out the other day and i was able to get it home, then i go to take it to the shop because just so happens for has a recall on it so they get to fix it for free.

Well i go to start it and it was dead, i dont think i had anything left on and my batteries are less than a year old. so that was weird.

So i jump it, get it started, im letting it run a bit just to juice it up a bit before i go, well the bad cps killed the engine after 5 mins or so, i try to start it, dead again, not enough juice to start, so i jump it again.

Well i needed to turn the truck around so i go up back up then put it in drive and go to pull back in to the parking spot and all of a sudden my dash starts going crazy, lights were going on and off, all my gauges went dead and would go back up then die again, all while the truck is still running fine.

I get it parked and i shut it off and let it sit a bit. then i tried to start it again and it gave me the loud clicking noise like a dead battery and wouldnt start. So yea wtf is wrong with my truck guys????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks like you need to reseat the main wire harness through the fire wall and the one that goes to the engine. you should pull them apart to check for short circuiting. sound like that might be the problem.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Chapter Director

Hell i hate electric problems, how difficult is that?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 AM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When my alt went out without warning on my 6.0, the gauges did all kinds of goofy stuff like you described.

I then shut it down, and "click click click" was all i got. No battery light or anything came on.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptin View Post
When my alt went out without warning on my 6.0, the gauges did all kinds of goofy stuff like you described.

I then shut it down, and "click click click" was all i got. No battery light or anything came on.
The more im thinking about it, i was having troubles with the cord on my alternator a few months back and it wasnt charging my batteries correctly even though my batteries and alternator tested great. also i guess i forgot to mention my battery light has been on for a few months but nobody could figure it out so maybe it finally crapped out on me
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM
'Merica

yeah my truck had random battery discharge issues for a year, and everything always checked out ok.

I replaced my batteries under warranty due to the alt testing good, then about 2 days later driving home the gauges went haywire. Luckily i was almost home so I finished the drive and shut her down. no crank after that.

Tested the new batteries - low voltage. Jump started truck and grabbed the voltmeter and wala, alt only put out 11.5volts at 3k RPM. 180$ at napa, and i had me a new 140amp alternator. Factory was 105amp according to the tag.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Chapter Director

Do u know the best way to get it to a dealer thats like 2 miles away? can i just charge it up all the way and hope for the best or should i tow it(i know thats what i SHOULD do)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 AM
'Merica

Lol I drove mine to the Napa, Let it idle, picked up the alt, and drove home. about 30-40 mins for me. I let mine charge over night though.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those symptoms all sound to be like problems stemming from low voltage issues. I would suspect a failed alternator not charging the system and batteries have finally been drawn down far enough they can't keep up...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptin View Post
Lol I drove mine to the Napa, Let it idle, picked up the alt, and drove home. about 30-40 mins for me. I let mine charge over night though.
Well i live in an apartment so thats not really possible so maybe a good charge and a quick ride to the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob@DP-Tuner View Post
Those symptoms all sound to be like problems stemming from low voltage issues. I would suspect a failed alternator not charging the system and batteries have finally been drawn down far enough they can't keep up...
yea now that i think about that damn cord it makes me suspect that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.