CPS, Injector o-rings, or something else? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CPS, Injector o-rings, or something else?

Relatively new diesel owner here with a stock '02 F250 7.3 77k miles, of which I know very little about it. For the last 2 or 3 months, on occasion, I've had problems getting it started. It seems to happen when it's only been running a few minutes, like when I leave work and stop somewhere on the way home. Let it cool down 15 to 20 minutes and it starts right up, except for tonight it was over 30 minutes before it would start. I was starting to worry I was gonna have to get a tow.

I've talked to a couple diesel-owning friends about it. One said definately the CPS, another said injector o-rings. I've checked with Ford and the CPS has been changed, actually twice I think. I've changed the fuel filter and and am due for an oil change soon. Any additional thoughts these things or what else it could be, or tests a newbie can do to troubeshoot it? I've always done my own mechanic work, just never owned or worked on a diesel.

Thanks, Bryan

Last edited by BryanSR; 12-17-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

is the fuel in the filter housing black??? if so, it means injector orings are allowing oil to get into the fuel system.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblv247 View Post
is the fuel in the filter housing black??? if so, it means injector orings are allowing oil to get into the fuel system.
Thanks, I will check that as soon as I can. One friend told me the injectors might not be building up enough oil pressure to fire. Could the pressure be bleeding off somewhere other than the fuel, or does oil-in-the-fuel happen with any leaking o-rings?

Will a bad CPS even display this symptom? Someone told me a truck with a bad CPS will either start or it won't start, nothing in-between. A CPS is a quick and cheap fix, so I thought about going ahead and replacing it anyway, but I'm more of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type, and hate to just start switching out parts.

Thanks again
Old 12-18-2012, 02:20 PM

as far as i know the cps can work and then not work. when you are cranking the engine does the oil gauge start to read pressure? how long does it take to read pressure?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM

may be a warn out IDM
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblv247 View Post
I removed the fuel filter yesterday and the fuel in the bowl was very clean. Would that be a sure sign that injectors are not leaking oil, or just that any leakdown is not getting into the fuel?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the truck died while driving home tonight, and the first time this has happened to me. 30 to 45 minutes later, it started right up. I think I'm going to replace the CPS tomorrow, but really confused on which ones are OK. As I said, the original CPS had already been replaced by Ford before I got the truck. Should I go with another Ford part? I found a local parts store that has a Borg Warner, but saw on another forum where someone said stay away from BW. Any suggestions? I don't know for sure if it's the CPS, but for only $25 I'll give it a try.

Does anyone on here live close to Winchester Va and have a scanner? Thanks, Bryan
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put a new cam position sensor into it this morning and took it for a test drive. It ran for about 15 minutes and stalled while idling. After cooling down for 20 to 30 minutes, it would start again. I headed home, got about 4 miles and it stalled again. 20 to 30 minutes later it started again and I was able to get it home. Any suggestions please?? Other than my New Holland tractor, this is my only vehicle right for now, and I don't have a clue where to start now that the CPS has been changed. I was looking at the ScanGaugeII scanners at AutoZone yesterday. Would they be capable of pulling the codes to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks, Bryan
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got a scanner tonight. I first cleared old codes, then started the truck and it ran fine for 25 to 30 minutes before shutting down. After that, I immediately plugged in the scanner and pulled a "P1283 Injector Pressure Regulator Circuit" code. Is that likely the IPR solenoid? How tough are they to replace?

Thanks, Bryan
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Everyone, could I get some of your thoughts on this? I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself and wondering if I posted it in the wrong place. I'm thinking it's the IPR valve, but hate to switch it out until I'm absolutely sure.

Thanks,
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.