Whistle Noise - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well still did it but only 1/2 as long this morning about 4 miles, temp outside was 30 degrees. Mine only seems to do it under 33 to 32 degrees. Is yours only a few miles or is it constant? I know when it is 1/2 shut my egt's are 100 to 150 higher than normal around 650 to 700 and have no boost at all, my hpop pressure is around 1500 to 1800 at 1/4 throttle. I go to about 3/4 throttle and the ebps sensor senses I have too much back pressure and it opens the valve all the way and my boost jumps up instantly to 5 to 7 psi and my egt's go back to 500 to 550. But as soon as I ease up on the throttle it starts shutting again and no boost and higher egt's and hissing. I go back and forth about 5 or 6 times in about 5 miles or so and it finally stays open. So I am still kind of lost on what else it could be unless my ebps has enough carbon in it to only sense very high back pressure maybe? I'll keep working on it to try and figure it out.
-Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That sounds like mine.. Does yours kinda bog down a little too when you hear that noise? I havent notice any change in mine egt wise but thats probably cause i wasnt really looking at them.. I only get the noise when it is freezing out (20's) so i dunno what it is
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes you have a power loss because you have no boost, trying to suck through the turbo for the most part. That's why most people delete it because of the big drop in mileage and power when the valve sticks 1/2 shut. I ordered a new ebps today after I got home and will be in tomorrow to see if the sensor is the prob. Sucks its 120 bucks though. I never had a problem at all with this truck( just got it 5 months ago) until I power washed the engine because the guy I got it from lived on a dirt road. So I feel like an idiot thinking that I messed it up even though I'm sure it's unrelated. Either way I'm going to get it figured out one way or another I'll post what happens Friday sometime if its cold enough in the morning.
-Jay
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM

Have you seen a write up anywhere on how to unhook it?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, but none of them are the same and you have to pull the pedestal the gut it or change the pedestal, and from the sounds of things you get codes and some codes will de-fuel. I'm a big fan of keeping things they way they should be. Also I work with a 20+ year diesel mech and he was explaining how the valve puts a fake load on the engine pre turbo to heat up the pistons to swell faster so you don't have the blow by and carbon build up on the rings. Thats why you feel no power because your turbo is only getting 1/2 the exhaust pressure and the engine is working harder with the added load on it.( making more heat faster ) Cold high idle with no valve will take longer to heat up and could down the road lead to excessive blow by that just starts compounding things. Worst thing you can do to a diesel is idle because of the wash down affect, this valve is just another measure to prevent it, but you can find a bunch of threads on how " I just cut the wires and gain 50 horse and get 35mpg's now! " a lot of these people don't understand how these engines work and are keyboard mechanics so I take a lot of these threads with a grain of salt.
-Jay
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 PM

Perfect reasoning there let me know what happens when you put the new sensor in maybe that's the route I need to go
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

its kind of a pain because you need to get behind the turbo on the downpipe side thats where the valve is, i took mine off when i took the turbo off thats the easiest way, take the turbine housing off (exhaust side) i had to stuff a rag in the turbo to keep the metal shavings from going in it but drilled out the rivots, removed snap ring and seal then pulled (beat) the valve stem out and I welded a bolt in where the valve stem was, put the seal and snapring back in, reinstall housing and then reinstall turbo, replace o-rings on top of the pedestal and your done.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

mine doesn't take that long to heat up, but i also did the hi idle mod. as far as building up carbon on the rings, i would buy that if you idled for 10hours straight, but your talking about a warm up time, then your on the pedal, doubt theres any carbon buildup but i'm no expert.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM

http://www.dieselsite.com/turborelatedparts.aspx
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well put the new ebp sensor last night but i don't think it got cold enough to make it do it, or it worked one or the other. it was around 35 degrees this morning so thinking it was that. either way i will post more results when it drops below freezing again.
-Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.