7.3 loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 loss of power

My 1999.5 7.3 doesn't seem to have the power that it used to. It has 278000 miles on it. I rode around in my friends 7.3, same year, and it has way more power. Mine starts up fine, no white smoke and idles fine. Truck is stock besides a banks cold air intake. What do you think it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

maybe i should be more specific. It used to run sluggish then for a short time it would run good. Now it seems that it always runs sluggish. I don't know if this makes a difference but when it runs just a little ruff it runs bad but then when it did run good good it would run a little smoother. It still has ok power, its not like it has lost a lot of power it just seems that it has lost a little bit of power.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Subbed cause I want to see what guys have to say. If you don't get any responses on this thread, I'll post it on one of the OBS threads and PM you a link

I don't really have any great suggestions for you other than at your mileage maybe your injectors are getting tired?

Kind of a unique question cause usually there are other symptoms right?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There are no other symptoms which is weird. I just had the injectors tested and the mechanic said they were perfected. FYI the mechanic that I am talking about has owned the truck since it was brand new and it was over maintained which is a good thing. It could be a bad sensor.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM

I feel the same way about mine, replaced my ICP last week and it help out for a couple days now it's sluggish again and acting up a little, thinking I have a bad or going bad ipr. Not exactly sure of the symptoms of these two sensors, but they both have to do with the injectors oil pressure. Seems to me if injectors are good( had mine buzzed and CCT and was told they were fine) and one or both of these sensors are going bad then the engines performance would suffer. I will be replacing my ipr and will let you know if it helps.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

I am hoping someone with a little more techy knowledge will chime in here.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been thinking about what might be wrong because its still acting up. I have a loss of power,poor fuel milage (10-13), no smoke, no codes. I thought it could have been leaky up pipes but im getting 16psi wot. Im starting to think it could be bad hpop oil. What I've been told is that in theory its supposed to mix with the engine oil but it really doesn't. Could that cause a loss of power and make it run not as smooth in between 1500-2000 rpm?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Hey I'm glad you updated this thread. Forgot about it. I have since changed my up-pipes/gaskets and my truck feels like its 15 years newer. The power, response, crispness, fuel economy, sound and just general happiness is back 100%...never mind my cab is now exhaust free for the first time in years.

The answer that Codum posted before is probably going to be helpful to you. Hope he sees this and updates with how he made out. I'm thinking your problem is going to be ICP or IPR related. You may have bad o-rings on your IPR or even bad o-rings on your injectors.

Last edited by JJFLASH; 03-06-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM

you're going to need to view parameters while the issue is occurring.
icp
icp desired
ipr duty cycle
map
ebp
ect
eot
a fuel pressure gauge should be installed as well.

the loss of power is going to result in poor fuel mileage. you need to solve for that.
engine temp doesn't stay cold, does it?
if the engine is running cold, or the ect is reading cold, the ebpv will stay closed. could even try unplugging it. see if that helps. just a thought

also, leaking up pipes isn't an actual boost leak. they feed the turbo. not the other way around. you could easily build 16psi with up pipe gaskets that are pretty much falling out
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 AM

I purchased a scan gauge and all my parameters are normal. I have replaced the icp but that did not solve the problem. Have not replaced the ipr, but will before I order injectors. I have seen other post from guys with the same problem as mine and they ended up solving there problem with new injectors. Been really busy at work and not had the time to work on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.