Brake repair/upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face Brake repair/upgrade

The brakes on my 02 F350, 7.3, six speed, Crewcab, Dually, 4x4 are beginning to wobble when stopping, especially from highways speeds. It has 31K miles on it. I bought the old girl new, and have been it's only driver. I am an old fart, and drive like one. I don't use the brakes any more then necessary, down shift on hills, and am generally easy on the truck. Now the rest of the story. We live in the Smoky Mountains, and I have been dragging a 36 foot 5th wheel, so that's probably what did in my brakes. Now for the questions. Autoanything list the Power Slot rotors for the front only. There are some other brands of slotted rotors listed for all four wheels, Are any of them as good as the Power Slots? Although the OEM pads look new, I am thinking that they should be replaced with the new rotors? Should the calipers be replaced? I know it's a good idea to go all new, but the mileage on the truck is so low. I want a job that is going to last, but do not want to waste money. Any feedback is appreciated.

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know alot about power slot rotors but I hear good things, probably be agood upgrade. I have a dually also if your not going to upgrade, to power slots, go with a diferent grade of pad.As far everything new at 32000miles you shouldnt have to replace everything, if you do the work yourself, inspect caliper slides and lube them real good and have the rotors turned you should be alright.Might look into some sort of exhaust brake, will help quite abit.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:46 AM

Thanks for the info, and the welcome. I am afraid to have the rotors turned, since they failed once, making them thinner by turning them will probably make them warp a lot faster a second time. Since you believe that the calipers may be good for a while, I am thinking about a new set of slotted rotors, and premium pads, might fix the truck up for a while? Will have to look into the exhaust brake, or possibly a turbo brake in the near future.

Charles

PS. Cool Truck in the picture!

Last edited by 2002F3504X4; 10-29-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 AM

Thanks! My truck has 83000 on the origanal rotors wich I pull a 25' goose and 5600 lb pickup with 44" tires to mud bogs and only turned rotors once.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Turning the rotors will do no good. The shakin'brakin will come back real quick. Ford really went cheap on the rotors in these trucks that are meant to tow, especially with a dually. I have a 2000 with 64K and went through the samething. I tow my 8500-9000lb TT through the Smokies and BlueRidge mountains often and got tired of the shakin/brakin. I went with cyro'd powerslots and Hawks LTS pads for the front. The front always does more of the stopping my back brakes looked like new and at 40K when I changed mine the fronts still had 75% pad life left. You want new pads don't cheap out here. However I saw no reason at the time to change the rears, they obviously don't get as hot and have the problems that the fronts do and this decision has proved to be a good one. There is also no need to change the calipers as long as they aren't frozen. It is a critical part of routine maintenance on these trucks to lube the caliper slide pins with the proper brake lube. The majority of brake problems on a SD truck can be traced back to slide pins. The Powerslots/Hawks combo has stopped all of my shakin/brakin and I just got back from Ohio towing my TT down 77 with a bad brake controller so I had no trailer brakes. My truck did all the braking and never once started to shake on me, the Powerslots proved they were worth every dime on that trip. I now have the new P3 controller and love it.
I did install SS brake lines wrapped in Kevlar up front and it did improve the firmness of the pedal. Good luck PM me with any ?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002F3504X4 View Post
The brakes on my 02 F350, 7.3, six speed, Crewcab, Dually, 4x4 are beginning to wobble when stopping, especially from highways speeds. It has 31K miles on it. I bought the old girl new, and have been it's only driver. I am an old fart, and drive like one. I don't use the brakes any more then necessary, down shift on hills, and am generally easy on the truck. Now the rest of the story. We live in the Smoky Mountains, and I have been dragging a 36 foot 5th wheel, so that's probably what did in my brakes. Now for the questions. Autoanything list the Power Slot rotors for the front only. There are some other brands of slotted rotors listed for all four wheels, Are any of them as good as the Power Slots? Although the OEM pads look new, I am thinking that they should be replaced with the new rotors? Should the calipers be replaced? I know it's a good idea to go all new, but the mileage on the truck is so low. I want a job that is going to last, but do not want to waste money. Any feedback is appreciated.

Charles

looks like they got you fixed up but I just wanted to say

and I see you are in NC you need to come to the Nov 10th Southern Smoke Show in Winston-Salem, NC this is going to be a very good meet and greet and more here is the thread with some info

ORG Southern Smoke Show Info Thread
Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 AM

Smile

Thanks for the feedback. On the Autoanything site they list a DBA 4000 Series rotor, that is heat treated. This is only brand that list all four rotors to fit my truck. The reviews are all positive. I am thinking about using this brand with the Hawks Superduty pads, and reuse the other parts. Anybody had any experience with this brand of rotor? Thanks, Charles
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

As I said my best advice is use the powerslots up front and I doubt you will need rear rotors. Don Not use the Superduty Pads from HAWKS!! These are only for trucks that carry lots of weight. Unless you have a welding truck or have lots of weight all the time don't use them. A stock PSD can't develop enough heat to properly seat the pads, and I have a 8500lb duallie!!. I used these when I first put the cyros on and I developed a very dangerous pull to the right. I replaced the calipers and brake lines with the advice from the place I boght the rotors and pads from, no change. I swapped sides with the pads and pull swapped. I then called Hawks, and they told me not to drive the truck and they over nighted the LTS pads for me, this cured my problem and my brakes are awesome. Hawks was very disturbed that somebody would sell me the superduty pads on a stock truck. All I can speak is from my personal experience and that of others in other forums I belong to. Do quality rotors and pads in the front and your stock rotors and pads in the rear will be fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
looks like they got you covered... i would only use Powerslot Cryo treated rotors.. they are super hard and resist warping like your current rotors... and use Hawk LTS pads.... unfortunately they dont make any for the rear but most of your stopping power is done through the front anyways so just get some OEM for the rear.... hope this helps... let me know if their is anything i can help you out with

-Raul
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the tip about the pads. I will use the stay away from the superduty pads and use the LTS pads as you suggested. My truck is a dually also, dry weight 5800. Most of the time it is just carrying passengers and a couple hundred pounds of cargo. When I do load it up, the max is about 24K, but the four different trailers that I pull all have thier own brakes, so the truck is not doing all of the braking. I have not had a difficulty stopping the truck, just the warping of the rotors. The primary reason I thought about upgrading the rear brakes, is added braking capicity to the total package, but maybe it's overkill.

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.