No wait to start light but cranking just fine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No wait to start light but cranking just fine

Went to start my truck this morning and it wouldnt start. There is no wait to start light but it cranks just fine. I did pull a 30 amp fuse to test my off road lights but replaced it right away. Any ideas whats going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The lack of a WTS light is an indication the PCM isn't running, (it's Never gonna start without it). This time of year, as it gets colder, lots of people have their fuel heater come on for the first time since last Winter. It gets rotted through over the summer and shorts. This blows fuse #30 that also supplies power to your computer. If that's what you find, unplug the heater element at the bottom of the filter housing before you replace the fuse. The fuel heater is something most people don't end-up needing, so don't worry about it for now you change replace it later if you want.

Other than that, it's still most likely going to be a fuse. Check them All (esp 30, 19, 22) Twice! It's easy sometimes to overlook a blown fuse
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Why is there no sticky on this?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM

So if I unplug it replace the fuse and plug it back i I should be good to go? Any picture on what that plug looks like? Or where to find it
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdereu View Post
So if I unplug it replace the fuse and plug it back i I should be good to go? Any picture on what that plug looks like? Or where to find it
No, no, no,,, you can't plug it back in...

It's shorted, that's why the fuse blows. But, you probably don't need it working anyway. Does it get in the low single digits (F) where you are?

Look at the plug at the bottom of the fuel bowl in this pic;
Attached Thumbnails
No wait to start light but cranking just fine-fuelbowl.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No WTS when trying to restart after engine died, crank but no start up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The lack of a WTS light is an indication the PCM isn't running, (it's Never gonna start without it). This time of year, as it gets colder, lots of people have their fuel heater come on for the first time since last Winter. It gets rotted through over the summer and shorts. This blows fuse #30 that also supplies power to your computer. If that's what you find, unplug the heater element at the bottom of the filter housing before you replace the fuse. The fuel heater is something most people don't end-up needing, so don't worry about it for now you change replace it later if you want.

Other than that, it's still most likely going to be a fuse. Check them All (esp 30, 19, 22) Twice! It's easy sometimes to overlook a blown fuse
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. We did this and it started right up!! It was however the 30 amp fuse for the PCM power relay/Fuel line heater/Glow Plug Controller that had blown. We will be replacing the fuel bowl heater though as winter's here tend to get colder and our truck has a lot of miles.

95 F-250 PSD Stock...for now.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Or just unplug the heater and leave it.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did notice that the wire I unplugged had a decent cut in it. I am wondering if that shorted/grounded out and caused the fuse to blow. ??

We do travel to colder places, so I am thinking I will want to get it working again.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Probably not, the insulation tends to get brittle and crack over age but, without touching ground somewhere it's not a short. In most cases, the element "rots" in the water that can collect in the bottom and short there.

You would have to be traveling to some VERY cold places to actually need it though. I doubt anywhere in the US (except Alaska) it's necessary. That being said, they're cheap & easy enough to replace. I'd do it too, but might wait 'till the next filter change no matter what time of year it was
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
juniperforest83 (11-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.