7.3 injector swap advice needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 injector swap advice needed

recently i pulled my valve cover off the driver side of my '01 f250. it was "loping" and i feared the injector was going out. i pulled each harness and sure enough the #8 was not firing. i pulled it out and replaced it with the same "AE" long lead injector. i draind the oil out of the hpop and the cylinder and glow plug hole to avoid the hydrolock. this was a few days ago. i had to wait for the new injector to arrive.

yesterday the 26th
**UPDATE**
ok everyone. here's the update. kinda strange, but here it goes. i replaced the injector and it started. (a success in every sense of the word) anyway, it smoked like crazy (i expected that) at the tailpipe it usually sounded like a gasser missing a spark plug with its sorta "lope" . this time, it sounded like a hairdryer. breathing freely like it should. i could actually hear the turbo a little. i let it run a few minutes. i shut it off to finish putting it back together. re-started and the fun was over in 5 minutes. LOPE LOPE LOPE...WHY???!!! it runs the same, smokes the same and has little power. is my new injector shot?
i think ill be pulling the valve cover again and checking. i did not change the wiring harness/valve cover gasket because it was in good shape. are the wires to the injector bad? a friend said that its possible with all the moving around of the wires i might have made a temporary connection and it just quit again. how do i check?
should i just "****-can" the truck and buy a dodge? (LOLOLOLOLOL) sorry..momentary lapse of reason...what do i do next? drop it off at the shop? money is scarce these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do the "50cent" mod to that UVCH connector at least. Give those connections a second look when you're in there...

Here's a good vid;

http://www.youtube.com/v/GHwjEfJtM_g&hl
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks, noralph...thats an excellent suggestion. it shows the whole driver side missing though. think it can help on just one injector? im not showing any codes or and check engine lights either. ill pull it anyway. only cost a quarter to figure out
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea, it's not like it's completely unplugged or anything as in the video but, the way you describe it returning after putting it back together, and this being such a common issue, it is worth doing. You could also have a burnt pin making an intermittent bad connection too.

What are you using to scan it with? You know these trucks are not, strictly, OBD-II and a generic OBD-II scanner is of little use. You need a professional tool that will do a "buzz test" (Ford, Snap-On, AutoEnginuity, etc). And that test would help you a lot right now

A good scanner would then be able to read the IDM codes (if any) that would be generated after that test too...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM

gonna take a while to get the air out also. Just idling for a few minutes is not going to do it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive driven it several times and it runs just like it did before the injector swap. smells like raw fuel at the pipe. im afraid i might be looking at a dropped cylinder. if i did, anyone wanna buy it??lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.