NTM 99 F250 hard starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question NTM 99 F250 hard starting

Hi

I am new to this forum and after lurking for a few weeks, decided to post about my new ride.

We bought this late '99 F250 7.3 from a Texas dealership because it was corrosion free for our new business.

It has only been here in Me. for a few days but is having a devil of a job starting without being plugged in first.

It takes about 7-8 minutes of heavy cranking and tons of white/grey smoke before it will catch and even then..throttle must be given before it will run. Once started, it will run without issue for the rest of the day.

After reading the forums, my plan of attack this weekend is to meter the glow plug relay and replace if needed. I will ohm the left and right g-plugs as well as injectors and deal with anything I may find by throwing $ at rock auto.

The batteries are only a week old having been replaced by the Texas dealership before truck was shipped, however I am thinking of a Napa gear reduction starter for it. Battery cables/connections look new and are tight.

Once we have dealt with the hard starting, all maintenance will be done including oil and filter change (5w-40 Rotella), cps sensor, coolant flush, rad hoses, upper and lower and trans flush.

Does this look like a reasonable course of action?

I have been reading some about injector o-rings going bad. While not an electrical concern, how does one diagnose that possible problem?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having same hard start issue w/my 2001 F350 7.3. I ordered the Stancor relay for mod and going to see if that helps, it's not here yet.

I'm subscribing to see replies. Good thread.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Hi

I bought a new relay yesterday just in case and this afternoon, in nasty, howling wind, tested voltage at the hot terminal @ 11.4v. With key to run position, the same 11.4v on the gp side of relay. So looks like batteries tomorrow?

I will also check for resistance for each gp. what are accepted ranges for the glow plugs?

Its at my buddy's shop and he has a snap on scanner. Will that do the buzz test, icp and ifp data ?

Maybe, if I can get it running tomorrow...we can change the oil to 5w-40.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Hi

I ohmed out the plugs today and a few were 0.4 to 0.5 but some were 0.0 to 0.3 . I am thinking of replacing all 8 plugs. I am contemplating both gaskets as well as under the cover harnesses since we are already there so to speak.

I hope to do a buzz test tomorrow to check on the injectors as well. If there is a bad one(s) then change them out while the v-cover is off.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go to powerstrokehelp.com and watch some of the videos, they are very informative, there is one on injector tune up that worked very well for me. My 7.3 would not start when it was under 60 degrees without plugging it in and after the injector tune up it starts so much better and faster with no shake. The low was 28 degrees here in north Florida a few days ago and it started right up with no shaking at all! I was amazed at the difference it made and the motor was quieter too.
Good luck with your 7.3, I know you will love it!
John

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Hi

*Update*

We replaced all glow plugs since 3 were bad , two on passenger bank and one on the driver's side. The gaskets and harnesses were also replaced as a precaution. The relay tested ok...but I replaced that with a heavy duty one from eBay just to be sure.

We also changed the oil with 5w-40 Rotella going in. The batteries were replaced and a new gear reduction starter has found a new home replacing the planetary drive '99 model.

The end result is that the struck started yesterday with temps in the low 20s. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.