2 major FREAKIN leaks!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 major FREAKIN leaks!!!

1st is a coolant leak coming from above the starter (pretty heavy flow)

2nd is an oil leak (all of my oil) which looks like it is coming from front of engine passenger side next to the water pump (very heavy oil residue all over the area)
the strange thing to me is the residual flow of the oil makes it seem like all of that oil dumped out of the drivers side of the engine. Completelly soaked the differential and dripping from the axle. Refilled the engine with oil (7 quarts) looked forr leak, didnt even drain WTF!!! could not find any where it could be leaking from on the drivers side of the engine or on the front. Oil pressure looked good to me did not fluctuate. Anyway maybe Im just to stressed out. Do not want this to be the end of my engine. I love this truck.
Will spend time on it tomorrow already lined up a mechanic to look at it as well. Damn I hope all is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For oil pressure, what did you watch?
It's probably a high pressure oil leak. Know how an HEUI motor works? Well, that's how you lose so much oil so fast.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

I try to follow the forums here for any questions I may have. due to my lack of knowledge I try to apply routine maintenance on my truck to minimize these types of issues. The only time I had an leak like this before was when I had a bad O-ring and the bolt loosened on the back of the HPOP. oil bled out into the valley from that location. these forums helped identify that and was an easy fix.

This is a new problem to me and seems more serious because of the added coolant leak. The oil pressure is not something I can accurately monitor. I can only guess that it is good based on the stock guage's location, it has not flucuated. Of course at the time when these problems occurred I did not look at the guages I just shut my truck off. Replaced lost oil and coolant then ran my truck to try and see where the leaks were. As I said before the oil did not want to leak the second time around. It seemed like my truck was running fine other than the coolant leak. Still this is no reason for me to think the oil problem has fixed itself (would be nice if this could happen though)
One thing is for certain if I somehow come out of this I will be getting the proper guages
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM

The stocker oil pressure gauge is jsut a dummy gauge. Once it achieves a certain pressure (dont quote me on this but i think its 7psi) it goes to the middle. It wont start fluctuating until you are going below 7 and back up. The oem oil gauge wont be a good indicator of oil pressure.

Try reving the truck up. You will have lower oil pressures at idle. Also the leak might not happen until the engine has come up to operating temps. good luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 AM

THe stock oil gauge is for low pressure oil. You have a high pressure leak. The high pressure leak may only happen under a good load when high ICP is desired.
Only thing I can think for coolant is the heater core and lines over there?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

Just read these posts. Thank you for the responses guys.
This morning I checked the oil and coolant didn't loose anything over night.
Decided to crank it up and let it run. As expected the coolant started to poor out was ready for that and kept the levels good there. My focus was on the oil this morning once the vehicle got up to op temp I looked for a leak all around my engine could not find it.
Well now that I got up to temp the coolant started to flow it didn't leak out as bad so i topped it off and took the truck for a drive around the block to see if that would cause a reaction. Nothing happened.
It is nice and cold outside and no garage here MN hands are frozen So now I'm in the house warming up.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM

the waterpump has a weep hole which is designed to leak when the water pump is failing so maybe thats whee you are leaking coolant.
should be right above the bottom pulley.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

cracked block! Guess she's done for good.
temp fix is all I can do for now. If there are any suggestions on where to get a good crate motor please let me know.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.