Hard starting! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard starting!

first- thank you to all the previous hard start posts,
what i have is a 2000 f250, 7.3, 4" exhaust, power hungry chip,stage 2 injectors, three pod, boost,egt, trans temp. now for what happened, fired up great first thing this morning ran thru the drive thru for the kids about 10 mi run time, shut off to order, fired right up. another 10 min to belle tire for new rubber in comes the kid sir truck wont start! i go out and let WTS cycle turn over for about 15-30 seconds (felt like forever) she fired up. tires replaced bring back truck i didnt ask how it started. drove home fine 70mph. 25 min home. try to re-fire wait for WTS long crank, and its about 55-60 OAT. ohmed glow plugs all at ahout 1.0-1.1 ohm no volt to GPR have 12volt to big lug, 12 to red wire with key on no ground at 2nd red wire, did try jumping out relay 10 sec did not help, what should i check next? i did put charger on the batt at about 80% going to let it charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, you don't have a glow plug issue. Despite the WTS light at All times, once the engine has warmed-up they don't come on at all. So, any restart issues aren't related to the plugs or the relay.

Next, you need to know that not only will you get a WTS when you don't need to do any waiting (like when warmed-up) but, when really cold, you should wait for much longer than it's on. That is, the Glow Plugs are actually running for Much longer than the light is lit. They're really not connected in any way...

On a 2000, look at the Tach when you're cranking it over and trying to start. Do you see the needle rising slightly? (you should or I'd be suspecting the CPS sensor).

You're having a "Hot Restart" issue and that's Much less common than all the COLD Starting issues you'll see as the weather turns. Don't confuse them Usually, people have your problem as related to the Oil thinning as the motor heats it up. This almost always sets a CEL light. Have you seen the engine light come on?

I would give the IPR sensor a look at least. Make sure the plug looks good (no bare wires) and that the "tin nut" that holds it together is in place and hasn't vibrated off.

Another Free test is to unplug the ICP sensor. When the computer doesn't see a value from the ICP it will set a default value for the IPR to run on.

Other than that, I'm afraid the next thing you need is to get it on a good, professional, scanner to monitor things when you have this problem so you know what's not doing what it's supposed to (forget a cheap scanner like the Auto Parts Stores use, they don't work on our trucks).
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so it finaly acted up again then add slugish and white smoke for about 4 min. the wife pointed out it all started after a fill of fuel, do you think that could be it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.