exhaust smell question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust smell question

hey guys i have taken my truck to 2 mechanics and they can't figure out whats wrong and says nothing is wrong.. my 01 7.3 ccsb i noticed is having a slight exhaust smell coming from the vents when idle and also when coming to stop lights and to stops. its not every time but most of the time.. its not a really bad smell just annoying . what could this be? if i have the hood up and truck running and stick my nose back by the turbo area to the side of the ac unit(passenger side) i can feel the heat and also an exhaust smell.. is that normal? i thought you shouldn't be able to smell anything except from the back of the truck.. any thoughts or is this normal? thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 PM

maybe check your up pipes to see if they are leaking at the flanges. Also maybe the downpipe may have a leak right at the turbo connection. Just a thought!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM

i will take a look tomorrow thanks..
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM

also i noticed right in 3 rd gear about 40 mph i get a little vibration i can feel it in the petal then after it shifts to 4 th it goes away...anyone know what could cause that?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis182008 View Post
also i noticed right in 3 rd gear about 40 mph i get a little vibration i can feel it in the petal then after it shifts to 4 th it goes away...anyone know what could cause that?
If I'm not mistaken that's a symptom of not having your EBPV clean. I'm cleaning mine out this weekend, because my truck does the same thing. From about 38 - 45, then it's gone.

Our trucks doesn't have a cabin air filter. So the air that comes in comes from right by the windshield if I'm not mistaken. If you're leaking exhaust gas from your turbo, it could be escaping from your hood and being sucked in to the A/C. Does the smell happen if you're A/C is off completely and your windows are up?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 AM

no no smell when the ac is off and windows up.. just comes in through the wants when air is being blowed from them
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM

You're leaking exhaust somewhere then, and it's being sucked up by the A/C system. Like I said we don't have filters on these years, so I would check with your turbo housing and with the clamp holding your downpipe to your turbo for it being loose.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM

just curious what years have the filters? and could you install one on a 01?.. i will look tonight and try to find it.. i used a soap solution and sprayed on the manifolds when cold and started and i founds bubbles on the top of the drivers side closest to the cab it wasn't a lot.. also i found some on the up pipe from the drivers side manifold going onto the housing that goes into the turbo
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 AM

its not a huge leak or a horrible smell but i do notice the smell. even a little leak could do this couldn't it?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 PM

I don't think any of them up to 2003 have air cabin filters. It should be located directly behind your glove box in a little black box. I have heard of some of them randomly having the air cabin filter. Look back there and you'll see it.

If you have an exhaust leak out of your turbo you'll see it on your firewall and on your pipes leading in and out of the turbo. You may have something as simple as a worn boot that you may want to replace (and should anyways to help keep turbo PSI).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.