01 7.3 weird surge/shudder - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 weird surge/shudder

So the other night went and put 30 gallons of fuel in the truck, cam home and parked it for 2 hours. Went out started it up and the motor sounded a little funny. A louder then normal, as if it were low on oil. (rotella t-6 2500 miles on this oil change) so i got out and checked the dip stick its still full. so got back in drove away thinking it would quiet down after a minute, seemed to go away so i proceeded to get on the freeway everything felt fine then I got up to 50 mph and the truck started to shudder really bad, let off the throttle, it smoothed out no vibration, so started to give it more throttle then the vibration came back as soon as i got back up to 50mph. so got off the freeway and went home and parked it for the night, no service lights came on and no dtc. next morning went to a buddies shop and ran some test on it. key on engine off self text, everything came back fine, except it came up with a P0605 internal Control Module Rom Error. so proceeded to preform a injector buzz test. everything seemed to sound fine. then ran a compensation test. everything was pretty much equal. then ran a engine running self test, everything came back fine. ran the key on engine off again and the same P0605 code came back. but truck seemed to be running fine. so drove it no problem. parked it for the night. drove it all day Sunday no problem till going do the freeway and then got a sudden jerk/Surge. (flat freeway at about 65 mph) later on started it back up and the motor sounded loud again, then by the time i hoped out to listen, it had stopped again. During this ordeal there hasn't been any check engine lights. Anyone have any idea?????? anything, driving me nuts, did i over look something.
Truck:
2001 f-350 4x4 on 35's
210,000 miles
dp-tuner chip with stock, economy, race, tow mod, and 1100 rpm high idle
4 inch turbo back mbrp with muffler
DIY air filter
other then that its stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bholt88 View Post
So the other night went and put 30 gallons of fuel in the truck, cam home and parked it for 2 hours. Went out started it up and the motor sounded a little funny. A louder then normal, as if it were low on oil. (rotella t-6 2500 miles on this oil change) so i got out and checked the dip stick its still full. so got back in drove away thinking it would quiet down after a minute, seemed to go away so i proceeded to get on the freeway everything felt fine then I got up to 50 mph and the truck started to shudder really bad, let off the throttle, it smoothed out no vibration, so started to give it more throttle then the vibration came back as soon as i got back up to 50mph. so got off the freeway and went home and parked it for the night, no service lights came on and no dtc. next morning went to a buddies shop and ran some test on it. key on engine off self text, everything came back fine, except it came up with a P0605 internal Control Module Rom Error. so proceeded to preform a injector buzz test. everything seemed to sound fine. then ran a compensation test. everything was pretty much equal. then ran a engine running self test, everything came back fine. ran the key on engine off again and the same P0605 code came back. but truck seemed to be running fine. so drove it no problem. parked it for the night. drove it all day Sunday no problem till going do the freeway and then got a sudden jerk/Surge. (flat freeway at about 65 mph) later on started it back up and the motor sounded loud again, then by the time i hoped out to listen, it had stopped again. During this ordeal there hasn't been any check engine lights. Anyone have any idea?????? anything, driving me nuts, did i over look something.
Truck:
2001 f-350 4x4 on 35's
210,000 miles
dp-tuner chip with stock, economy, race, tow mod, and 1100 rpm high idle
4 inch turbo back mbrp with muffler
DIY air filter
other then that its stock
Mine was doing that exact same thing, replaced cps no more problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what color did you replace it with and where did you get it from?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Coincidental, but think you got a fuel issue...possibly water. Open the drain valve, take a sample, let sit, and see what it looks like.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM

I got the gray one from ford

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM

Same problem I had when I first got my truck do the hutch mod guarantee if u drop the tank your pickup foot is broken off and the lil screen filters Ón the sending unit are clogged up driven diesel makes a full kit with a nice spin on filter for the frame rail that works so good my stock filter has gone a year and still looks brand new

Sent from my A200 using AutoGuide App
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Read the guzzels instructions a few times while waiting on the kit to come in I have done five kits so far for me and friends dropping the tank is simple only takes about two hours to complete the only special tool you need is a quick fuel line dissconect that is like six bucks at any parts store

Sent from my A200 using AutoGuide App
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merch...Category_Code=

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wi...ses/24309.html

Hit up Home Depot for the 3/8in and 5/16in compression unions

Autozone for 8ft of 3/8in fuel line

And hobby store for the 5/16in and 3/8in aluminum tubing
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Any word on the problem?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry i haven't responded been trying to ride this out but i looked up here truck and i had a black cps sensor in my truck, swapped it out with a grey one and that got rid of the surge and shudder. to my knowledge that is. The only thing that is puzzling me is when you start the truck id sounds really loud, so put it in drive and start to drive away its still loud, then after about 600 feet it goes back to being quiet. Fuel economy hasn't changed at all, just did an oil change thinking the oil might have been low or just worn, but that didn't seem to change anything. the sound is as if the motor is low on oil, or just really cold. (loud injectors) current temp here at night is between 44-54 *F and during the day 54-64 *F so nothing told cold. Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.