Starting Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Help

Hey guys I want to thank you for all the help before I get into this. I'm new to diesels and Ford's but I'm scratching my head on this one. I bought a 2000 f250 ext cab with 275k 3 weeks ago for 3k. The guy I got it from only had it for 2 weeks so the truck history is unknown. Here's where it starts it needed oil cooler seals and an oil change so I did that. Due to weather and family the truck sat for 2 days. Got it all finished, went to start it and drained the batteries trying to get it started. Charged them up and finally got it started. Ran rough, loping with blue and white smoke. Drive it around the block and it clears up and smoothes out. The block heater doesn't work and it's not the cord. I'm getting no resistance at the fitting on the oil filter. I pulled the passenger vc off just to check the harness and it looked good. All four glow plugs were unplugged though so I plugged them back in and buttoned it up thinking that was the prob, it wasn't. I replaced the gpr and 4 glow plugs and it still doesn't start without pedal to floor and 10 to 15 sec of cranking. I cycle the gps 2 or 3 times before starting. Idk it's getting frustrating other than spending a hundred bucks and taking it to a dealer and have it diagnosed what are some other things I can do? I don't have a scanner and the cel is not on. I live ij Florida so it's def not cold out. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds as though, you know how to turn a wrench. Do yourself the favor, and if you plan on keeping ur for awhile, do a few preventative maintenances.

1).. Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

2).. change your fuel filter

3)..

4).. remove the ICP plug and check for oil inside

5).. remove oil plug atop the hpop resivoir, and inspect to make sure the oil is about 3/4in from top. If not fill accordingly

Thats about all i can think of now, but if possible, to get the truck read with AE/Snap-on..etc, to get "live data', would help ALOT.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I got all the info on how to do everything on here! The hutch mod looks pretty difficult for my skills but I guess you don't know till you try. It does run like carp below a quarter tank. I inspected my uvch and it looked ok so I used electrical cleaner on everything did the 25 cent mod and put it back together. I guess the fuel filter is next. I have no idea where the icp is or the hpop res is so if you have any diagrams or you can just tell me where. Could a couple injectors be bad? I need it scanned I just don't want to waste money at the dealer. Where else can I get it scanned???
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Icp sensor is located on the driver side head, at the front, inside top. There is a 3 pin plug when u pull it out looks line 2 eyes and a mouth.

The hpop reservoir is the large silver "box" on top front of motor just behind the belt. There is a small 1/4 plug on top driver side of it.

Sorry if the pictures are small.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Attached Thumbnails
Starting Help-imageuploadedbyautoguide1349628730.483603.jpg   Starting Help-imageuploadedbyautoguide1349628762.569535.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM

here ya go....
Attached Thumbnails
Starting Help-sensor-location.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I was looking at the icp it had oil in the plug and i cleaned it out. Thanks for the pics! I think we are on to something bc it started up but died twice and third time stared and ran rough with no power revved it past 2500 and it was smooth again. Idk I checked the fuel filter and it was bad. Replacing that In the morning. Why would there be a diode on the wires on the icp? It just seems out of place.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM

lol..that diode is whats calledthe 10k mod. Get rid of it, unless you want to replace ur tranny soon. If oil in icp plug, get urself a new one. The PCM is using a default setting, for truck to run..(like crap).
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will definitely pull that diode off! Why does the icp cost so much!!! Can I fake it off and clean it? Haha I sound cheap but damn advance has them for 260 bucks! Can I also just rebuild the ipr?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 PM

stick with OEM...

NEW!! Genuine FORD 97-03 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel ICP Sensor (F6TZ-9F838-A) | eBay
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just thought I would give an update, I found a diesel shop up the road from me that scanned and buzz tested my truck for free. 10 codes all on passenger side so I just bought a new uvch to put on. All injectors buzzed back and Also a exhaust back pressure malfunction? Well leaving school last night the truck started to run like crap, sputter and die on the side of the road. Long story short after four hours of trying to start it I eventually was towed home where it is currently being charged up. I believe even though my gas gauge said 1/4 tank I was actually out of gas. I put some in the tank but not in the bowl like I should have. What is the proper way to re- prime the system? I've filled the fuel bowl with gas already and put a new filter on it what else should I do? I've read a couple things but I just don't know. Also should I do the 25 cent mod on the new uvch bc the international dealer didn't have the plastic shims? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.