Starting Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Problems

I just purchased a 2000 F-250 7.3 about a month ago. When the dealer delivered the truck everything was excellent, no problems. The truck sat in the driveway over night and it would not start the next day, would turn over just would not spin fast enough to crank. Had not signed the paper work so I had the dealer come get the truck. Got it back to the dealership and when they rolled it off the rollback it started right up.

No biggie, noticed the orginal owner had replaced the batteries with smaller CCA than suggested so I replaced with two brand new Interstate batteries. No more problems, rights? Wrong! If the truck sits for more than a day it does not want to start, figured it was a battery drain, charged them up over night and started right up again. Tested for a battery drain, nothing more than regular draw for regular up keep.

Same thing happened again, again put the chargers on the batteries and charged them up, this time it still would not start. Called the dealer, they said they spoke to the orginal owner and if you put the vehicle in neutral and push it back about three feet it would start. Tried that and started right up. I checked the batteries they are fine.

My son has used my truck on another occassion and it would not start, said he pushed it backwards about 3 feet and fired right up.

Sounds like its just not getting enough RPMs to crank it, any ideas on what is going on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, clarify for me what "would turn over just would not spin fast enough to crank" means???

To me, "spinning" and "cranking" are the same thing. Do you call running "cranking"?

If it's Not starting, but still turning over on the starter, it has nothing to do with putting it in Neutral (the whole "roll-back" thing can only be a coincidence, it's moving to N that would satisfy the NeutralSafetySw)

What you're describing makes no sense to me (their solution) but you Do need to spin at Least 100rpm for the PCM to fire the injectors (normal is 150/200) so, with new batteries, could the starter or cables be bad?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for the confusion.

It will crank but not start. When i put the new batteries in, there was a noticeable difference in the cranking RPM's and it started right up.

Since then there have been two other occasions were it was not get the cranking RPM's to start. I figured the rolling it backwards in neutral was a fluke but it has worked on three different occasions.For whatever reason the cranking RPM's speed up and it starts.

All I can figure is the battery cables need replacing or the starter is dragging.
I have waited this long to post the problem thinking I was either crazy or just missing something that should be obvious.

Could the cables be the problem?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

I drove my truck most of the day yesterday. Pulled my tractor to a small bushoging job and back. Stop and started the truck several times with no starting problems.

Stopped by another location and was there for about an hour. Went back out to leave and my truck would not start. It would crank, but not start, checked all the fuses, everything fine. Left the truck and waited for my son to get home so he could tow it home. Went back to tow the home around 9 p.m... Before we towed it home I gave it one last try to start it, same result, the truck would crank but not start. Hooked it all up and started towing it to the house. Got about half a mile down the road and figured i would give it another try. Sure enough it fired right up, ran like a champ all the way home. Got home and turned it off and started it back up three different times.

Any ideas whats going on here?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Dude, that thing is possessed!

Seriously, this is everybody's nightmare scenario, you don't know if you can trust your truck and can't put together a logical reason for the How & When.

You have an intermittent issue that doesn't happen often enough or reliability enough for testing and what most people start to do is to throw parts at the problem. I encourage you NOT to do this! Here's what I would do if I were you. I know this isn't cheap, but in the Long Run you'll be much better off - Honest.

Invest in an AutoEnginuity Scanner (hopefully you have an old laptop or something kicking around - it doesn't take much) for @$350. Learn how to scan your sensors and take it with you where ever you go with the truck. Whenever it happens again, you'll be in a position to find out what's keeping the truck from starting. It's probably something stupid, a connector or something, but you'll be able to see what's Not doing what it's supposed to do When this happens.

PLUS, you'll have a really great diagnostic tool for the future
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help. That's exactly what I was about to do, been pricing parts all day. Luckily haven't bought any yet, even called the local dealer to get a price on their hourly fee .. I'll definitely invest in a scanner, may save me money in the long run, any suggestions on where to purchase one from?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Been cranking the truck everyday trying to get it to act up. No issues, cranked every day, until I needed to go somewhere today. Jumped in and no start!

It sounds like the cranking RPM's are low. Could the starter have intermediate issues that would cause this? I checked the batteries and they both showing good charge.

This truck is a 2000 with 27,000 miles on it. I have only owned it for around 2 months.

If I had any hair I would have pulled it out by now!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked the HPOP this morning just to say I did. Oil is up to the top.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flk9deputy View Post
It sounds like the cranking RPM's are low. Could the starter have intermediate issues that would cause this? I checked the batteries and they both showing good charge.
First, yes, the cranking RPM is critical. If the PCM doesn't see at least 100rpm it won't fire the injectors and you'll never start (normal is @150-200).

Second, "showing a good charge" ? What the heck does THAT mean? There is only ONE way to test these batteries. That is, charge them up fully, have them individually Load Tested at a High Rate (not those dinky 100A load testers the Auto Parts Stores use on their ricers). You need them loaded at 250-300Amps, these are high capacity batteries facing a Huge load when trying to turn over a high compression diesel while running a 150A draw from the Glow Plugs...

If the batteries aren't up to spinning the motor fast enough, and when the Cold Weather arrives, they'll become useless, then you need to know now. The Load Test will tell you that.

In either case, this is the time to go over all the battery connections anyway. Clean, Scrape, Grease & Tighten ALL the battery cables, BOTH sides. Then, if all else is good, you might consider the Starter or even the Relay maybe...
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have similar issue on 99 7.3. Repaired oil leak on pedestal and gutted EBPV; washing out oil from valley and truck quit, like someone turned off the key. Has started a couple of time since, usually for only few seconds, once started and ran normal. Buzz tested injectors and system, no codes. Replaced IPR, IPS, and CPS. Installing oil/fuel pressure gauges today.
Yours sounds alot like mine, will post what if find later today after verifying pressures and reconnecting scanner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.