99 F350 Power stroke diesel dually leaking fuel from overflow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F350 Power stroke diesel dually leaking fuel from overflow

Hi, I have noticed my F350 is leaking fuel from the overflow copper tube. This happens when i just turn on the key to let it get ready to start and after i start it. It is not a little leak but a full stream coming out.

I dont know much about mechanic-ing but i learn fast. My dad used to be a mechanic and i watched him do things and am not afraid to tackle something head on. What could be causing this and how the heck do i fix it. Right now the truck is stranded in my front drive and i am not driving it anywhere with diesel leaking like it is. I also dont have a ton of extra money to take this to a mechanic, especially if it is a simple fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Hi, I have noticed my F350 is leaking fuel from the overflow copper tube. This happens when i just turn on the key to let it get ready to start and after i start it. It is not a little leak but a full stream coming out. .
whats a copper overflow tube?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The copper overflow from the fuel pump...maybe it is not a copper piece but it is copper looking.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
The copper overflow from the fuel pump...maybe it is not a copper piece but it is copper looking.
If you're referring to one of the fuel lines under the hood, those are all Parker fuel sleeves and can be purchased in a kit from DieselOrings

You should have one line coming off the fuel pump and into the fuel bowl. It meets the fuel bowl at the Fuel Pressure Regulator (fpr). Be careful there is a spring inside the fpr and the housing is, in my estimation weak and will crack at the bolt tabs if over tightened.

Is this what you're talking about?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am refering to the tube that doesn have anything else on it, you can see it from underneath the truck at the front of the motor...it is simply an overflow tube. comes out and straight downwards, nothing else on it. almost like there is a plug in the line somewhere that makes the diesel come out that tube. it ONLY happens when you turn on the truck to let it warm up before you start and then after it is running, it keeps running out(fearing a fire hazard here!)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
i am refering to the tube that doesn have anything else on it, you can see it from underneath the truck at the front of the motor...it is simply an overflow tube. comes out and straight downwards, nothing else on it. almost like there is a plug in the line somewhere that makes the diesel come out that tube. it ONLY happens when you turn on the truck to let it warm up before you start and then after it is running, it keeps running out(fearing a fire hazard here!)
That's the fuel bowl drain valve and its no where near the fuel pump. It sounds like yours is open, not leaking. Are you sure it is closed? If it is in fact leaking you can get that rebuild kit (3 o-rings) at the same place above.

BTW, there is no overflow on the fuel system, it just returns to the fuel tank from the fuel bowl.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i dont know if it is just open or leaking. how do you tell the difference? all i know is when you turn the key on, in about 4 seconds, fuel comes spilling out of that tube. i hadnt noticed it until i got home the other day and i smelled diesel additive smell, i thought the bottle had spilled in the truck. couldnt find anything...next day i started the truck to warm it up before we left and i had it parked on an incline where the front end was up high enough to see the dripping and it was pouring out. i shut the truck off and saw that was where the drip was coming from. that is the extent of my investigation. I dont know a ton about diesel trucks so i let it sit until i found out more of what is happening. I dont know if i need to take it in or if it is a simple enough fix.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 AM

There is a smallish yellow handle on the rear of the fuel bowl that is used to open the fuel drain valve. Your drain valve is leaking and needs rebuilt. It is a simple thing to rebuild. You will want to fix that before you drive it again.

Look at this to see what I'm talking about and then go find it on the back of your fuel bowl.

You can fix the leaking drain valve using this kit by removing yours and replacing the three o-rings. Make sure to replace the small one on the top of the ball valve shaft, that is what is probably leaking in your case, if your valve is not open.

It's open when it is perpendicular to the fuel bowl, closed when flat against the bowl.. Look at the pdf instruction sheet. Your Dad 'll be proud of you
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will look to make sure it is open or closed, lets hope that is the problem. it would be the much easier fix!!! If not, i can do the other.

I looked at the PDF instructions and printed them out so i can go step by step. Thanks for your help and i will let you know how it goes tonight! Keep your fingers crossed that it is only the open/closed issue. yes Dad would be proud!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yellow handle behind the fuel bowl, in the closed position, should be against bowl. If it is leaking, you should get the entire rebuild kit...

Riffraff Diesel: Complete Fuel Bowl Seal Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
99 f350, 99 f350 diesel, f350 powwerstroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.