6637...is it really what everyone says???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6637...is it really what everyone says????

So i called up jody to discuss tunes and while i had him on the phone i asked him what he thought of this diy intake everyone was doing. He responded and i quote. "I was at an event a while back and there was a guy who just installed one on his truck and he took it for a ride after he completed it. he came back and said i love this new intake, my truck smokes more now. He said i couldnt help but say to myself...its smoking more cause it isnt getting the amount of air it needs. In 2001 or 2002 ford updated the air box on the 7.3 and these flow better than the diy intake with the correct filter drop in" I know I know....simmer down, these are his words not mine. Just want to get everyones opinion on this since this diy intake is so hot on this forum and is considered a must. I mean Im sure jody knows what hes talking about, i mean for damn sakes he tunes these things so good and im sure he has to experiment with all the intakes to find the one that flows the most to compliment his tunes...ya know. so im kinda up in the air here about this now? what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Never heard anything like this.....I know for a fact the filter flows more air....heck, just look at it...I can't understand how he would say this....not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, because Jody is a well known player in the tuning world.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the 6637 a miracle filter? No.
Is it the best filtering filter? No.
Is it the best flowing filter? No.

Is it a happy medium that is cost effective, long lasting and convininet? Yes.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:06 PM

i have never heard of this either, but for me - yes it was better than the stock airbox.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did the 6637 air filter to my 7.3 two weeks ago and all I can say is it runs WAY better with the 6637 than stock air filter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-29-2012, 03:02 PM

i just picked up one brand new on craigslist for 30 bucks!!! Noticable difference over the oil soaked k&n that PO had on there...
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just put a 6637 in my truck over the weekend. I bought a polished aluminum 45 degree bend made by spectre and trimmed it to length for the adapter. It looks nice and shiny and only cost $12. I know a lot of people go to a muffler shop, but I decided to do mine at 6 pm on Sunday and no shops were open. Only 50 miles so far but the throttle response is a little better and it seems to spool up a little quicker. It is loud, you can hear the engine sucking air under a load. At cruise it isn't bad at all. When it shifts you can hear the "whoosh", which I think is kinda cool. It was easy to put in, but I am not thrilled about the way it sits in there, just loose. I am going to figure out a way of securing it. I ended up cutting part of the stock airbox frame out to get it low enough for the hood to close. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a filter upgrade.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Each DIY is a custom job. I use a K&N 6637 hybrid that's solid by itself. Might have to find/make a bracket to secure it.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7770 View Post
So i called up jody to discuss tunes and while i had him on the phone i asked him what he thought of this diy intake everyone was doing. He responded and i quote. "I was at an event a while back and there was a guy who just installed one on his truck and he took it for a ride after he completed it. he came back and said i love this new intake, my truck smokes more now. He said i couldnt help but say to myself...its smoking more cause it isnt getting the amount of air it needs. In 2001 or 2002 ford updated the air box on the 7.3 and these flow better than the diy intake with the correct filter drop in" I know I know....simmer down, these are his words not mine. Just want to get everyones opinion on this since this diy intake is so hot on this forum and is considered a must. I mean Im sure jody knows what hes talking about, i mean for damn sakes he tunes these things so good and im sure he has to experiment with all the intakes to find the one that flows the most to compliment his tunes...ya know. so im kinda up in the air here about this now? what do you guys think?
Dont know Jody and have never ran his tunes so I cant speak to his knowledge.

Its pretty simple to me, look at the CFM numbers for the 6637 & said "drop in". That will tell the story on the filter itself. Then look at how restrictive the stock box is. To me its a no brainer... More air & more fuel means more HP/TQ

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM

the reason that the guys truck smoked more was because the mixture was richer, probably because of a restriction in the incoming air ducting (his 6637 filter mod). that smoke coming out of the exhaust is unburnt fuel. the more smoke, the less fuel actually being burned as it passes through the engine. the reduction in air flow could aslo be due to turbulence in the air ducting caused by the filter mod.

i ordered one of these...

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...e83dc5928b8a08

but i got it for less from these guys...

http://oemparts123.com/ford-oem-parts/

use the part number search to find it. the part number is FA1759.

the trouble with an open filter cartridge under the hood, is that the area is a very dusty and hot environment. that 6637 filter won't flow well for very long there. the area in front of the radiator where the stock housing gets its fresh air is the cleanest, coolest air you can get. also keep in mind that some of those filters that flow better might not filter better. allowing dirtier air into the engine. so which is more important to you? short term better performance? or long term endurance with moderate performance?

SM

Last edited by Sticker Monster; 11-07-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.