ECT sensor or gauge issue? Ahhh gremlins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT sensor or gauge issue? Ahhh gremlins

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post but I wanted to try and make it as clear as possible.

I replaced my crapped out water pump. I could not remove the old ECT (Engine Cooling Temperature) sensor so I got a new one from O'riely's. Dealer was closed for two days and I needed to get back on the road. After finishing the job my temp gauge is dead.

I have taken several routs to root out the problem and I am kinda confused as to where the problem lies. I went to the dealer and the tech there removed the connector to the sensor at the pump and had me turn the key to the on position. Nothing happened. He responded by saying that the gauge was faulty, not the new sensor since removing the plug will make the gauge jump to the all hot position. I thanked him and resigned myself to getting an after market gauge rather than getting a new instrument cluster.

However, before I go any further I decided to take the dash apart and to see what, if any, voltage reading I am getting from the associated wires from the sensor to the gauge. My Chilton guide shows the red/white wire leaves the sensor and goes to the dash gauge and the pnk/org goes to ground (somewhere, though i cant trace it). I see that along its way it goes through a 42 way connector. when the truck is warm I get no voltage from the red/wht wire at the instrument cluster. It makes sense that if the gauge is faulty I should still get voltage (as I assume the sensor is basically a thermocouple) from that wire at the dash but I am not. This makes me feel like something came loose at the clip for the sensor or along the wires path to the dash.

I get no voltage from the sensor if I test it with my multimeter. I feel as though I should get something from it if the truck is warmed up. I have continuity from connector at sensor to wire in dash and ground. should I get a voltage reading from the sensor itself or should I be measuring resistance? If resistance, what is normal? I thought I would ask and see if anyone had anything that might help me figure it out. I am very nervous about driving around without a functioning temp indicator.

Thanks
2001 7.3L F350, 175,*** miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

its the wrong sensor. Theres a "specific" number for that sensor you'll need, or else, you'll get the readings you are. I'll go fish the right p/n.....F65Z-10884-AA
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Timmyboy76!

In a last ditch effort of trying to figure it out, I hooked up the old sensor (still stuck in the old pump) to the connector and heated it up with a torch. Once I saw the gauge register I went right back to Orielly's. After eliminating a faulty new sensor I tried one for the subsequent year truck. I got a response though it is still not the right part. I'l go to the dealer tomorrow and get the right one and bring this one back.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.