won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
won't start

tried to start the truck and it started in the morning fine, but a few days ago it didn't try at all, like I turned the key and it didn't make any noise, and I took the key out and tried again and it started fine, but then yesterday I tried for about 20 minutes and it wouldn't even try .. I don't think it's the battery because that's pretty new, i think it's something electric but idk ? I've heard it could be the starter , but I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do you hear anything from the starter at all? Do you get any clicking anywhere? Is your truck a standard or automatic?

IF, it's an Auto, AND you really hear no clicking at all, here's what I would try next time it happens...

Grab the Shift Selector and hold it Up Past Park. Then, if that didn't wiork try N. This is a common issue with the Neutral Safety Switch being out of adjustment (could also be the Clutch Safety sw in a standard)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Ya , I just went out and tried to start it again and it started first try, but before it wouldn't click at all, like once the ignition is turned it didn't do anything, but it's weird because it just started right now without a problem

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 AM

No, that's actually the way it works....

When the NSSW goes out of range it is doing it on the "ragged-edge" Sometimes the selector in IN and sometimes it's OUT, could depend on how hard you lifted up, pressure on the wheel, stuff like that.

Again, next time it happens, instead of removing the key try moving the selector.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 AM

alright thanks, but what can I do to fix it so it doesn't happen again?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM

IF this is your issue, the two things to do are #1 - make sure the selector "arm" at the bottom of the shift tube (look Up above the Brake Pedal where the cable connects to that tube) doesn't have the two torx bolts falling out so you have a lot of slop in the linkage.

And #2 readjust the NSSW on the Trans Input shaft by putting the selector in N (don't forget the Parking Brake ) loosing the bolts that hold it on and realigning the index marks on it (usually two dots or the letter N).
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Alright thank you

Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 AM

was working fine all day yesterday, until last night I tried to start it and it did the same thing,

First thing I tried was kind of pushing the shifter up past park and turned the key and got nothing

Then I put it in neutral and tried , and still nothing

Then tried moving the steering wheel around, still nothing.

I looked for those bolts and all the bolts were tight
Checked the fuses and didn't see any blown fuses, but I pushed the black box things in the fuse box in and some of them were loose, but I couldn't find the adjustment you were talking about.

do you think you could post a picture of where those bolts are that might have to be realigned?

and another thing is, the orange little peg on the dash is off track, it's been off track for years but I figured I would just ask if that could be part of the problem ?

Sorry for all the questions, but Thank you for the help.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 AM

If you tried in positions other than PARK, then I wouldn't think it IS a NSSW problem, also the Orange indicator really has nothing at all to do with it, but you can adjust that too

On an '03, one of those "black box things" is actually your starter relay so, yea, make sure they're plugged in!

Next I'd be looking elsewhere... It could be the key switch, relay, wiring, even the starter itself (these things usually just get worst as time goes on and you might end-up stranded...).

Carry a hammer with you and use it to "rap" on the starter a few times. This can reseat the Bendix or brushes sometimes on a failing starter. But, maybe it's time for some good ole troubleshootin' Take a test light and see if there's power being sent to the Bendix (on the starter) when you rotate the key. Then, you can decide if the problem lies on the "key side" or the starter. Do it now, while things work, to know what to expect to see and where to check (the small yellow wire on the starter I think)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Wish I woulda seen that earlier.. lol , I'm " stranded " and I have to be somewhere in 20 minutes, I might just take it to the shop and have them fix it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.