Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Made a big mistake!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HVAC SuperTech 
#1 ·
I own a 00 F350 with 7.3
I was trying to install new cig lighter and I was not getting voltage to the power point, so I decided to bypass it by using another wire that was hot with the switch on. I tried to plug in to a grey connector on the drivers side kick panel. Needless to say when I did the truck tried to crank. Every since then I can not start it with the switch. I had to put a toggle switch that is wired to the grey plug to crank it with. Everything on the truck works fine, But I was wondering what did I short out, or how can I get it back to where it will start with the switch. I have checked all the fuses and nothing is blown. I dont know where to start looking.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Keith

#2 ·
Get a Haynes manual or a chilton manual and start tracing the plug back. You fried something somewhere. You check all fuses under the hood too? Pull the steering column covers and look for melted wires. See if you can trace that plug in both directions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.