Having problems with my DP Tuner chip. Again. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Having problems with my DP Tuner chip. Again.

Little back story:

End of last year, I ordered up a DP Tuner chip from Jody for my '99 F350. Got it and installed it. Not even three days later, Im headed to meet my family for dinner, hit a small bump in the road and the truck shuts off. Im able to restart and get to the restaurant with no issue. Go to leave, the truck starts, we turn around in the parking lot and the truck shuts off again. This time it wont restart. Thought maybe it was the Edge Juice w/ Attitude monitor (set to zero, only using it for the guages). Spent 10 min unhooking everything it was tapped into. Still wouldnt start. Removed the DP chip truck fired up and drove home no problem. The next day I did some diagnosing and the with the chip installed it wouldnt let the truck start. It ended up frying the ECM. Talked to Jody and he sent me a new chip, but I had to get a new ECM. I was lucky and was able to find a used one with the same code as my original. Installed it with the new chip, truck still wouldnt run. At that point we moved from Az. to Tx. and I left the chip in the center console of the truck until I got time to mess with it. Figured out that I didnt get all the silicone off the circuit board, so I cleaned it again and installed the chip. Truck ran great for about 2 months. Then I was getting some intermittent stumbling, which kept getting worse and worse. I figured out that the chip wasnt holding onto the ECM very tight, so I taped it up as best I could and the problem stopped for another couple of months. Then it started up again and I could tell the tape had stretched a bit from the summer heat. Re-taped it and all was good. Until today.

Ran into Houston to meet a guy to buy a pistol. Pulled into the parking lot and noticed the truck was clattering a bit louder than normal, but it stopped as I was idling in the parking lot. When I went to leave I noticed the truck didnt seem to have alot of power. Looked down at the controller box and it wasnt lit up at all. Drove the truck for about a mile and it felt like it had no power. So I pulled over, unplugged everything to check the connections and then plugged everything back in. Still no power to the controller box. I unplugged it and now the truck feels like its only making about half the stock power. I thought at 1st it was because I was used to driving around on the 100hp tune. But once I got out of the city where the speed limits picked up to 50-60mph...I was struggling to get upto speed. Infact its 2 miles from a 4 way stop to my driveway and I barely got the truck to 50mph.

It idles and runs smooth. No smoke, no nothing. Im at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I hate to say it but this sounds like a bad installation which would affect any chip. Do your issues still go away when you unplug the chip? Can you post a pic of how the chip is sitting attached to the pcm and a pic of the connector on the pcm? One thing you might consider if you are good with electronics or know someone that is is to re-tin the contacts on the pcm. That would melt any silicon that you missed and make the connection tighter.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry for the troubles. Since the chip gets all it's power directly from the PCM, I would suspect a poor connection at either the PCM board, or the cable into the chip/switch can affect things.

If your F5 display is dim, or not lit up, you've lost power to the chip, leading us to the suspect poor connection. Check the back side of the switch to be sure the cable is tight, along with the cable on the chip end. You may also want to follow the cable to be sure that it is not pinched somewhere, where it could've chaffed and rubbed/broken a wire inside.

Please give us a call if you have further problems.

Thanks

Last edited by Jacob@DP-Tuner; 09-14-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM

I pulled the chip completely to drive home earlier and the truck runs and idles fine. Just what feels like no power to get the truck upto speed. I've driven it on the stock tune before and it would easily get upto speed without issue. Now even with my foot buried, it wont build speed or rpm.

I know the chip gets its power from the pcm, so I'll check the circuit board to make sure the contacts are good before I do anything else. If not, Im sure I can find someone to re-tin them for me.

Luckily I have another F250 to drive until then.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If the truck is running weaker then stock on the factory PCM with no chip, I would do some more diagnostics on the vehicle itself. Possibly check fuel pump, cps, hpop, icp sensor, maybe a boost leak, etc...
Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob@DP-Tuner View Post
If the truck is running weaker then stock on the factory PCM with no chip, I would do some more diagnostics on the vehicle itself. Possibly check fuel pump, cps, hpop, icp sensor, maybe a boost leak, etc...
Will probably do that also. Just odd that the truck was running and driving just fine all morning without so much as a hiccup, then I turn it off for 10 min and now its got the power of a Civic.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

Maybe find someone with AE. See if any ghost codes are popping up?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker0920 View Post
Maybe find someone with AE. See if any ghost codes are popping up?
I havent had a chance to mess with it yet, gonna jump on it in the morning. If I cant figure it out Im lucky that Diesel Innovations is local to me so I can call them to get some insight.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Well figured out the low power problem. Believe it or not the air filter (air aid stg II) was filthy. Seems like I just cleaned it a few months/few thousand miles ago. Pulled it off and did a quick test run, it runs just like it should. Put it back on and the engine wont rev past 2100rpm in neutral.

Bad news is I have power at the circuit board and the contacts on it are just fine. However when I plug the chip in, I get no power to the F5 controller and also the truck wont start.

But hey, like Jacob said. Its probably user error.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Just another update for anyone that has read this and is curious.

I have done some more diagnosing and I have power at the pcm, and power at all 8 terminals when the chip/cable is plugged into the pcm with the controller unplugged from the cable. But I have no display on the F5 controller. The truck will start and run but has the stock tune. The chip has no effect on the pcm.

I spoke with Jody yesterday morning and he told me to keep trying the chip to see if it would make a connection, which I did. When I called him back to advise me further on my above diagnosis, I cannot reach him (goes straight to voicemail) and have not got a call back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.