Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

A ton of white smoke!!

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  stroker0920 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 F250 7.3 and I have a ton of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm not making oil and the coolant is clean. I have replaced the CPS, starter solenoid, and put in a new battery. I believe it is a stuck open injector, but I'm not sure how to test for which one it is without bringing it to the dealership. Any tips?

#2 ·
Is it doing it when you start up and then going away after it warms up, or is it always smoking.

Did you replace both batteries or just one? In these trucks your suppose to replace both, even if one tests ok.

#3 ·
It's always smoking. It started as soon as I took it off cruise control on a 490 mile drive. I replaced one because the previous owner had just replaced the other one.

#4 ·
Maybe injector orings...Or a bad nozzle?

#5 ·
This is my first diesel also so I don't know that much about them. Anyway I can test to find out which one without pulling each one? How could I test for a bad nozzle?

#6 ·
I don't think it is a stuck open injector. That would cause a darker smoke like it would be running rich.

It could be a injector oring

Any check engine lights

Sent from a Apple

#13 ·
X2 on checking for blow-by.

On a side note, advance auto and all the other parts store's scanners won't work right on diesel trucks. They have different codes than gassers.

A good diesel shop can run a contribution test and injector buzz test to help diagnose.

#15 ·
Can you go into more detail of the "it won't turn over"?
Does it try to turn over?
Does it make any noises when trying to turn it over?
Does it loose electrical power when trying to turn over?

#17 ·
Go back to checking the batteries. Sounds like one is bad, not charged, or not making good connection. I would first use a voltage meter and check battery voltage when the lights are on and then when cranking. If the voltage is low (below 11v) then you need to check the battery circuits. When testing these batteries, you need to unhook one of them and then test. If they are hooked together, a good battery can hide a bad battery. If they are good, you need to look for bad connections which are usually hot when used due to high resistance.

Your injectors won't fire if battery voltage drops below a certain value which I think is 10v.

#19 ·
okay got it to start. had a cummins jump me. smoke color is grayish white. smells like raw fuel. no miss at idle. no knocking. oil fill had light haze

#22 · (Edited)
I have already checked the turbo and that's good. The truck has plenty of power. how hard will it be to pull each injector? I don't know anyone with a scanner and I'm trying not to bring it to a shop

#23 ·
Pulling the injector isn't hard, getting all the oil out of the cylinder is what sucks.

How far North of the Michigan/Indiana state line are you?

#26 ·
If that's is the case, I'd unplug one side first so you can narrow down which side is having the problem and you wouldn't have to pull a valve cover until you found the side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.