Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 7.3l issues,transmission?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Turbostang500 
#1 ·
Quick side note before reading,this truck is a project truck that i got so my power equipment class and i can restore because were into are diesel year now,I'm a senior in high school.

Alright so I'm new here and I'm going to try and make this a good first post. I recently picked up a 2000 7.3l crew cab xlt for 3550 and has 270k miles on it. The problem was that it has a 5-speed manual transmission in it,which all of you know should be a 6-speed. Now to the big problem,To get the truck going you had to have it off then you can put it in 1st gear then turn the truck on. The reason being is that the clutch wont fully disengage only partly, i estimated it being around 1/4 what it should be. It's ok to me though because i could clutchless shift it back home which was hour and thirty minutes away. 45 minutes in i needed to stop for fuel then on my way i go. Was in 5th cruising at 70MPH then we got to someone 10-15% inclines which over the first 3 was fine. Then all of a sudden id push down on the gas and basically nothing,going up the hill at 55MPH which most of you are thinking just downshift. Well i did and it actually slowed me down to 45-50ish. So i got over the hill by that time and thought that was weird. Over the crest i go and i shift it into 5th and pressed on the gas. Now it starts to get interesting, gas peddle on the ground trying to accelerate because the next hill is coming and the truck basically stopped accelerating at 55mph. Then when i pulled it out of gear to rev the engine to put it in a lower gear,it sounded like it was really working to accelerate with no load on it.That process continued for another 45minutes till i got home.

What i have done and what I'm going to look for right now : I so far am in the process for pulling the transmission i have check the fluid for the master and slave cylinder,the clutch linkage seems like it is fine when you press on the peddle. When i get the transmission out which I'm planning on it being tomorrow or Monday i will crack it open and inspect the idle gear then go threw out it check the throwout bearing.

Id love if someone on here who is more experienced then me in diesel to help out with there ideas on why the truck started acting up on the hill climbs and maxed out at 55 on the declines then give there reasoning as to why the clutch wont work properly. Also any ideas on what else to check while I'm under the truck. Right now I've almost taken out the drive shaft to pull the transmission out.

Once again thank you to anyone who is going to help me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would slow down on tearing it apart till you do more diagnosing. Once apart, you are only guessing at the problem.

With the help of a friend, check the clutch disengagement. It might not even be working. Also, there are other reasons the truck can act underpowered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.