02 7.3 Starts and stalls, No Rpms when cranking or running- Glow plugs don't turn off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 02 7.3 Starts and stalls, No Rpms when cranking or running- Glow plugs don't turn off

Hi, I just bought a 2002 7.3. The truck didn't run and sat for a year. It supposedly ran when it was parked. It needed a starter and 2 batteries and a glow plug relay. When I installed them, it still wouldn't go. When I crank it, it turns over fast but takes almost a min of cranking to start. When it starts, the glow plug indicator is still on, along with almost all other dash lights. While cranking the tach does not show any rpms. Also, no rpms when running for the 10 seconds it does. It does have a "superchip". I pulled the computer and found it.

-I tried seafoam in the tank and bulb
-New fuel filter
-#116 30 amp fuse was replaced- it tested okay, but I changed it anyway.

It seems to me that the truck does not know it's running. Maybe a security think or the ecm needs to be flashed. I would change the cps but the dash lights tell me it may be a computer thing. Any thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow! Sounds like you've got more than One issue here though...

I see the Long Crank and the Electrical problems as maybe unrelated. First, the CPS I'm assuming you're suspecting because of the lack of a Tach? Don't. The "02 electrical system won't show rpm at cranking (plus, a CPS is most likely to have problem as it's temp changes not a long crank)

Next, the WTS (Glow Plug Light) has NOTHING to do with how long the GPs are on, the relay and light aren't connected in any way so, I wouldn't assume the plugs are staying ON just because the light is lit.

This connector can cause the whole electrical system to be that confused -> POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......

I guess, IF it were bad it could make you have to crank so long,,, not sure, but doesn't seem likely... Here's what I would look at first if it didn't.

First, take that POS Superchip out of it.

Second, after it's been sitting (does it restart faster?) take the little plug out of the top of the HPOP res and "dip" a small screwdriver (or something) to see if it's empty, or very low (it should be @1in down). Speaking of oil, have you changed it since it's been sitting for a yr? You sure it's full?

How about fuel delivery? Drain the filter housing with the yellow lever (look over the top of the pass tire for a 3/8 metal tube that ends there against the motor) and see what comes out, Turn the key ON-15sec. and off again. Open the drain, you should see a full housings worth of fuel come out.

There's a Start!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Maybe a bad cam positioning sensor with the tach not moving the sensor is not sensing the cam revolutions. Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM

New developments!

Hi, thanks for all of the help. I had the truck checked and they found that the computer is from a 99 7.3 truck with the superchip in it. I am not sure when the computer was changed. I was told that it ran after the owner passed away a year and a half ago. Also, I was told that it ran 4 months ago when someone test drove it around the block. My mechanic got into the ecm to diagnose it and was able to get it to start first try on a 2 sec crank time and run for about 30 seconds. At that time, the tach worked, the glow light turned off...etc. The truck turned off by gradually dropping the rpms to nothing. After that, he wasnt able to get it going again. I am not sure that a 99 comp works in a 2002. Does it? What do you guys think?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Also, the glow plug relay was still buzzing after the truck ran and stalled(after a 1 min long crank and 5 second run time)- that was when i was trying to start it. The mechanic had much more desirable result. He found many random codes, 4x4 issue, ground fault in the heater. Could it be a bad ground?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK first, there are actually Many PCM's (as designated by a letter code on a sticker) and, while I'm Not Sure, I believe the chances that your '02 is the same as a '99 are not very likely. But, it does sound like it, at least, Ran for the PO.

Next, how did you make out with the fuel deliver test I described above? When you say "The truck turned off by gradually dropping the rpms to nothing. After that, he wasn't able to get it going again" this does sound like it could be a delivery problem...

As for the bad ground, sure, on the dash issue but again, I'm leaning on the dash & running issues to be two separate things. I would unplug the fuel heater now. This time of year, at these temps, you need neither the Glow Plugs nor the Fuel heater. You can disconnect them both if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chipped, ecm, no start, wts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.