Oil leak...but why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak...but why?

Ok so let me start off this thread with a little introduction. I purchased my 99 PSD about 4 months ago. In my opinion I stole the truck. It had 180k miles on it and for the age/mileage...the exterior is in GREAT shape. The bed looks like its hauled a mountains worth of rubble in the bed but the outside is very nice. The Drivers seat has 2 tears in it but other than that the interior is clean.

When I went to look at it I noticed right off the bat that it had several oil leaks of which the owner "didnt notice that at all" and so I got him to knock off a grand from the price for the trouble (which by the way was only a cracked gasket on the oil filter and it weas leaking from an old cardboard crush washer on the oil pan drain. One oil change later and its all FIXED!!! The ball joints are a little worn, but thats no big deal to be honest.

So after doing my maintenance work (oil change, DIY intake, fuel filter, belt, tires...the basics ya know?) I started driving it as a daily driver. I must say that I LOVE this truck. On one ocassion I pulled into my father house and the truck puked a little tranny fluid out of the cover on the bellhousing near the motor/starter. There is a little spot that looks like it is meant to drain from just in case of overflow or leakage on that cover plate.

So thinking that maybe the tranny is getting a little warm I did a general filter and fluid change out on it. Problem solved...so I thought. I go back to driving it with no issues, mind you I dont drive it very far each day so that could be a big factor. Few days past and I drive it a little more than usual and goto my sister house to drop off an eliptical and while I'm there my truck VOMITS a rather large spot of OIL this time.

Since this I have parked it in my driveway and am trying to read/search/trouble shoot this issue. I lowered that plate just a little to look into the tranny and could see no fluid. However I was unable to get the last bolt by the starter to break loose so my view inside was very limited. I'm thinking this sounds like the rear main seal to me, but then again I could be wrong. While very handy with a wrench I am not a certified tech.

Anyone wanting to throw a guess or opinion out there it would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh and I forgot to mention...the reason why I say I stole it. 4 grand take home and she was mine!!!

I call her the white elephant!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The rear main is a vary uncommon spot for a oil leak. Check the HPOP gasket and lines, turbo pedestal, dipstick tube flange and oil cooler.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Would any of those cause the oil to leak out of the coverplate where the flywheel is?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 7.3 in Texas View Post
Would any of those cause the oil to leak out of the coverplate where the flywheel is?

If its leaking into the valley between the heads it will. Get a flashlight and look behind the fuel bowl - you'll probably find the source there.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the responses....if I wasn't in a downpour today I'd ho look! Maybe ill catch a break a little later on!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm a little confused...your op states that the oil leak is tranny fluid but then you refer to it after that as OIL in capital letters. Sooooo is this a trans fluid leak or an engine oil leak?

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the addiction
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The original leak from that cover plate was tranny fluid and after the filter oil change with new pan gasket the tranny leak didn't reappear. Instead about a week later a much larger amount of engine oil leaked from the same spot. Tranny fluid amounted to a spot about the diameter of a tennis ball. The engine oil left about a football sized spot. Also this time it had to have been leaking while driving because there was blowback on the tranny pan and a little on the frame. The first leak seemed to happen after I parked it.

What's odd is after I left my sisters house (second leak) and drove back to mine and parked in my driveway....no leak.

I think that clarified it.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think the reason the second leak left such a large spot was because of the blowback while driving. It was dripping off the tranny pan.

If I'm talking in circles I apologize...I blame it on the pain meds! Yay kidney stones!!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OK you guys are good! Had a break in the rain and ran out side. Almost busted my *** climbing my bumper in flip flops but I found something! Up top with a flashlight I saw that their is a good amount of oil up top in what I'm guessing is the "valley". So from here where do I look first?

Thanks again guys y'all rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.