weird weird behavior - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird weird behavior

My 2000 f250 has never given me issue til this weekend it did something really weird. I went on a camping trip this weekend and had about 5 miles of bumpy dirt road to travel.. multiple times on this road my truck would do the following

Foot on gas everything working fine then sudden loss of power but it doesnt die... engine idles even if my foot is on the gas it sounds like a healthy idle.. dash lights come on "check engine" "wait to start" all of that stuff lights up... dash looks like the key is in the aux position... few seconds of all this and then truck comes back to life... power is back, lights leave, like nothing happened... whats going on? It did it only on this bumpy road except for one time just as i got off the bumpy road onto pavement it did it then... my thoughts are something electrical? i have since made sure my tuner had good connection. has anybody had this before? has not done it since last saturday morning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you checked the OD wires in the column for chafing?

Have a look at this link...

https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

never heard of that before. awesome link, ill look at that for sure! thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is how my issue started about 5-6 years ago. But now the issue is getting very bad. my truck is a 6 speed though. check out my thread "truck cuts off/hesitation". do you have any other issues. have you replaced anything on your truck.

I have heard of loose ground wire causing something similar to this

Good luck on finding out your problem.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had this happen on 2 7.3ls. Take your fuel pedal assy out and cleaned the idle switch with contact cleaner and work the switch while you are spraying the cleaner. You will have the idle switch and the throttle position sensor on the assy. When mime acted up, it would go to idle, no power and just the CEL would come on, no other abnormal dash lights.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

UPDATE: It hasn't done this again in the last week but I've looked for anything loose because its acting like a short. I was able to tighten down the bold holding the wiring harness to my pcm.. I was able to tighten it quite a bit, way more than I would like to admit. Does it sound like that could be the culprit or just a coincidence?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when mine did that it was the pedal assembly, I replaced it with an autozone/checker part and it was good for a short period of time and then wen south really quick in only a couple of days. I replaced that one with the ford one and problem has never come back. I have learned that replacing electronics on our trucks the best bet is go with OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.