Strange oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange oil leak

Hello,

I'm on a trip now and a few days ago I've driven up and down some hills for about half an hour. After that we stopped for a view point and there I saw that there was a trail from where we came from until where we were parked.

I looked under the truck and saw that there was oil flowing out. I checked all fluids and saw that the engine oil was kinda low, so I assumed that this was the leaking fluid.

We went a few miles further to search a Ford mechanic and by the time we got there, there was no more leaking and all fluids were ok again.

Fluids checked: engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, brake oil, higher mileage than usual so there's no diesel leaking either)

Since then, there hasn't been a drop of oil under the truck anymore. What could have happened?? I'm worried, because we're back into the mountains again in a few days.

Thanks for your info,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Where was the oil coming from (front of engine, rear of engine, out of bell-housing, back of trans) and what color was it?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
Where was the oil coming from (front of engine, rear of engine, out of bell-housing, back of trans) and what color was it?
Forgot to mention: back side of engine, drivers side, seemed to have run down from a higher place, but I couldn't see from where. I only had the chance of looking under when the leak was gone and there is nothing to see from above.

It looked like engine oil to me, but I'm not sure because the oil inside the engine looks more black than what I've found on the ground.

To exclude tranny oil: Can you loose a qt and probably a lot more transmission oil without seeing it on the dip stick? And can a tranny oil leak stop on itself?

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It is possible if you have a trans cooler line leaking. However you should be able to see the loss on the dipstick in either the trans or the engine.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Back home and have internet again.

Thanks for the info about the cooler lines, I'll try to check that asap. I assume that's a simple job?? (I know very little about these things)

I've had it again on similar occasions (hot oil? and/or higher rpm's?) and I've discovered some things:
* it's definitely transmission oil, I've added a qt in total.
* I checked the oil the wrong way in the beginning (not engaging all gears before checking + oil too hot after climbing hills)
* difficult to find the right oil on the road, especially in France. I've added automatic transmission oil from "Total", which claimed to be compatible with Mercon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.