Up Pipe leak? Surge? Converter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up Pipe leak? Surge? Converter?

I have a new issue arise with my old faithful. After searching for hours upon days on here to find a similar cirumstance, I have to surrender and bug the experts. When I accelerate, about half throttle, maybe a little more, my boost will hit 10 lbs or so, and I will hear a momentary squeel, or squeak. After listening to over and over, it's consistenly happening right before the tranny shifts, mostly from 4 to overdrive, but it has done it going from 2 to 3. I sounds nothing like the surge videos on youtube, and it doesnt match any of the descriptions of the converter.

My mods are 6637, ebpv delete, wastegate actuator adjusted-start opening @ 12 psi, hpx, frx, 5" w/muffler exhaust.

i dont see any more significant signs of soot around the up pipe joint than there ever was, and egt's are normal. One issue I do have is the wastegate solenoid valve on the front of the x pipe is broken, so it was removed, and hose was run direct from the port on the x pipe to the actuator, and the bypass port on the intake tube was plugged, until my new solenoid gets in. Would this be causing any issues with fueling and timing beins it is an electronic device plugged into the system?

No play on compressor wheel, turbo has only 15000 miles on rebuild anyway. No longer has the wicked wheel (early 99), and std wheel got put in at the rebuild. EBPV tube, port, and sensor were cleaned a couple months ago.

Lastly, I am probably going to get a Dieselsite wastegate controller. What is done the red and grean lines at the solenoid? Are they just plugged off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can you maybe take a video and post it? 4th gear is overdrive so you would be hearing this at the 3-4shift or perhaps the 3-TC lock. Definitely need some sort of sound clip to help.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Ill see what I can do. I have no clue how to get that done, but for the sake, I'll figure it out.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM

I for the life of me could not get a video done with good enough quality for one to full understand what is happening. As I said in opening post, the wastegate solenoid was broken. I got the new one put on and ran all new boost lines off the x pipe, solenoid, wastegate actuator and intake tube. I'm suspecting the solenoid has more to do with the system than what Ive read. After driving some with the new solenoid, I still hear the squeal. After doing some more looking around yesterday I found the fitting I used to tie the new boost line into the intake tube had fallen out. ive since clamped it on for a tight seal, and the noise is now gone. I can get it to make the noise as hard as i try, and the truck runs better that it did with out the solenoid. Any experts know the full story behind this thing.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Bumpin this. I have since installed a 6 pos. Very seldom I would hear the chirp/squeal noise. But, this past weekend we took our first lengthy road trip not pulling anything. Runnin down the interstate @ 75mph (22-2300 rpm) in economy tune and every time we would climb a considerable hill, the boost would climb normally to the 7-9 range but once we would hit the top and the boost would come down there would be the squeal again. And at times it would do it on level ground as well. Runnin between 3-5 psi at that speed on level ground. Is this surge? If so, what can I do to fix it? I've already read that I cant do the ported housing because of the early 99 without extensive changes. I should also note that my truck no longer has the x-wheel. It is a standard compressor wheel. The bearing and such was replaced a few years back and the wheel was replaced with a standard.

Edit-I should also note that I notice a small lag in power when the sqeal/chirp takes place.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck was doing the same thing, but then the squeeling quit and i have loos power when taking off and excessive power when hauling trailer, i also rebuilt my turbo but its going back to the tranny shop to see if its the TQ or something.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

did you just rebuild the turbo? If so, maybe you didnt "seat' the wheel correctly..(ask me how i know). The shaft should be protruding fro mthe wheel about 3/16-1/4in. If not,then your shaft with wheels are not correctly in place, and the shaft is 'walking".
Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's started loosing the power before rebuild.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM

A few years ago as stated the bearing assy, etc was replaced (my mechanic called it a compressor cartridge?). I dont know if it came as a one piece bolt on or not but I will check that 3/16-1/4 protruding shaft measurement. With it being a standard wheel on an early 99 turbo (no wicked/x wheel) could do something to change airflow and/or volume in the smaller turbo and through the smaller plenums to cause some surge? I should also mention it did this under accelerating conditions before the chip. Accelerating to 5-7 pounds right before a shift is where I would usually hear the chirp/squeal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.