no tail lights or blinker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no tail lights or blinker

i have a 2000 7.3 xlt. i was on my way back to my house when i noticed my brake controller not working. didnt think much of it because it has done that to my dads 89 for too. after i unhooked that i loaded a camper onto my truck and i brought it down to install a battery in it.
i unloaded the camper and i went to town and on my way back i relized i had no tail lights or blinkers. got home and pulled the inside fusepanel and i had blown fuse #1 (electronic flasher) and fuse #13 (tail lights and third light). i put new ones in and as soon as i either hit the brakes or use my right blinker i blow #1 and as soon as i tap the brake lights i blow #13.
this was all of the sudden it happened.
i disconnected the two harnesses in the back by the bumper that go to my trailer plug and to my tail lights thinking i could have a short in a bulb or something shorting in my trailer plug. still does the same things... shorts

if anyones had trouble please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM

It sounds like you have a short on the right rear side only. Is fuse #3 (7.5A) still intact? This will eliminate the trailer side of the lights. Fuse 1 covers the flash portion on the front and rear but fuse 13 only covers the rear. Since you did not say fuse 1 blew using the left signal it leaves the right rear as the likely culprit. Check your bulbs first on the rear and just in case it's a dual problem take a peek at the front if you find nothing at the rear. Make sure you remove them to check for corrosion, burn marks, etc in the socket. Wires will be next on the list. Unfortunately both problems pass through your multifunction switch so be prepared for a possible multifunction switch issue. I hope this helps you track down your issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.