Smoke under load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke under load

Truck is a 2001 with 192,000km stock with an edge evolution.

I did the injector o-rings a few days ago due to heavy blue smoke on cold starts. This did not fix the problem and seemed to create another one. When the truck is up to full temp and going up a hill at 2000 rpm and 6ish pounds of boost, it is burning a lot of blue smoke. If i pull over and sit for 30 seconds it will not smoke unless i start pulling a hill again. Normal driving around town without any hills the truck will not smoke. This is all with the truck empty.

I checked the dipstick this morning and it's down about a half quart. I was thinking the turbo is leaking but i would think it would smoke all the time if that was the case. Also when i did the injector o-rings i noticed that 7 injectors were AE and one was AD, or vice versa, i can't remember now. As of now i am leaning towards an injector issue.

Any input would be much appreciated, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Check shaft play on your turbo I thought the same thing and it turned out to be the thrust bearing in the turbo, if it has a 1/4" of play give or take then you have turbo problems, $60 rebuild lit from ebay will fix that, also I would look into those mixed injectors regardless
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

There will be one injector different in the #8. It is a smaller injector, which was a cheap fix for ford I cure the "dead head". Since these trucks done have a RR on it from the factory that cylinder is starved of fuel, so they put a smaller injector in it.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Did not know that till now
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker0920 View Post
There will be one injector different in the #8. It is a smaller injector, which was a cheap fix for ford I cure the "dead head". Since these trucks done have a RR on it from the factory that cylinder is starved of fuel, so they put a smaller injector in it.
You sure about that? I've never heard that one. Never heard of anyone keeping track of which that is. All 8 should be same. I'm thinking turbo or blowby.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3HeavyHauler View Post
Check shaft play on your turbo I thought the same thing and it turned out to be the thrust bearing in the turbo, if it has a 1/4" of play give or take then you have turbo problems, $60 rebuild lit from ebay will fix that, also I would look into those mixed injectors regardless
I had the turbo off a month ago to do pedestal o-rings and shaft play was minimal, but that's not to say it has changed since then. I will check tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
You sure about that? I've never heard that one. Never heard of anyone keeping track of which that is. All 8 should be same. I'm thinking turbo or blowby.

I read a post on here last night from about a year ago saying that the #8 injector was different due to a ford bandaid. I will pull the filler cap and check for blow by tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post

Yes. The OBS are different with their smaller injectors, but Don't they also have a rr from the factory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.