EGT Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT Questions

I have a 2000 7.3 and I am looking to install an EGT probe and with looking at the manifolds i noticed a tube going out of the front side of the passenger side manifold going from there to the front top side of the motor ending next to the oil reservoir for the HPOP. It has am electrical plug which I am assuming is the sensor for the exhaust temp for the butterfly valve in the turbo housing.
I was thinking about using this spot in the manifold for my EGT probe.
Any thoughts on what it could be and also if it would be a bad idea to replace it with my EGT probe? Or should I just remove my riverside manifold drill and tap that for the probe? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that tube is for the EBPV sensor leave it there.
the easiest spot to put your egt probe is in the drivers side manifold.
you drill and tap it on the flat spot and put some anti sieze on the threads and screw it in.
im sure you can find a write up somewhere on here.
or on riffraffdiesel.com
good luck
Old 06-20-2012, 01:54 PM

oh and no need to remove the manifold on the drivers side. plenty of room to get a drill in there.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM

I would prefer to take it off to drill and tap since I wanna make sure that no cuttings get into the turbo and foul anything up. I have more than enough room to work under the truck and gain access to the manifold but I just want to make sure I don't have a chance of issues later on.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM

ya i hear you there. if you wanna get shavings out thats a good idea. ive heard of people using a shop vac to get shavings out as well.
with a 11 inch lift and 41s its like perfect height to drill without being bent over lol
Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just installed mine in the driver side manifold at the bend. I started the hole and then turned the truck on to blow the shavings out, worked great, just remember to wear safety glasses because it will blown the metal shavings right at you. Then when I tapped the hole, I put a little oil/grease on the tap but also ran the truck. That way the shavings were captured and blown out. Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Ok well I have opted to take the long more difficult process with my bad luck I thought it was best. So I now have the manifold off and I am headed up to my buddies shop to drill and tap it. I just want to make sure that I don't jack the turbo up with any shavings.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Post up if you have any trouble bolting the manifold back to the head. I've had trouble on a couple of gassers with the manifolds warping when unbolted and having a ***** of a time getting the holes to line back up.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM

I'm really hoping that I don't have that issue but I'm thinking I will have that issue. I got to the last bolt and was having an issue getting it out because the manifold kept falling down and making it difficult. So I tried to put the first one I took out back in and it didn't seem to wanna go back in easily, seemed to not line right back up. I hope that I'm wrong and I just wasn't holding it in the right position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.