Starter / Starter Relay question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter / Starter Relay question

I have an 02 PSD. I know in 02 they changed the starter relay to a wire relay without the firewall mounted starter relay...but I have a periodic "click" when i go to start my truck so I wanted to test my starter (which I replaced with a new DB starter recently) and I have BOTH. So I tested it using the wire and it does the same thing as when I put the key in... Click Click Click Click...then fires up... I stop and it goes through the same routine...sometimes its 2 or 3 clicks sometimes its 20-30. I have tried checking all the fuses and battery connections...its not that. I've multimetered just about everything I think may be the culprit...but no luck. If I was going to make a guess...I think the solenoid on the new starter might be bad. I tried researching on here forever so I figured I just post a new thread and ask u guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You really have only 1 "starter relay" and it's in the fuse box (it has replaced the big clunky thing on the pass fenderwell in older versions of the truck).

What's on the stater itself (and the ALL have this) is the Bendix that is both a solenoid for the motor and the actuator for the gear in the starters nose to go forward and engage the flywheel/flexplate.

So, if you jump those terminals (and you're sure you're getting a solid connection) and it goes "Click-click-click" as you do it, it's gotta be the starter that's at fault. OR, you've got crappy connections in the battery terminals (less likely, but clean, grease, & tighten them all, Both sides, to be sure).
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ya, I've cleaned all the connections really good. Its gotta be the starter... I was hoping it wasnt, but, thats the way Im leaning. Thanks again man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.