shooting oil out exhuast - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
shooting oil out exhuast

i have a 2000 7.3 and i was having injector problems replacing them the orings weren't sealing or the injectors weren't firing than finaly i got everything taken care of and got it started today now theres another problem after a couple of seconds running it started shooting oil out of the exhuast. the only think it might be is a cracked head or a broken o ring on the injector. i was going to do a compression on the cyclinders to see if the head was cracked so i loosened all the glow plugs than when as i was pulling them out the first 3 were soaked in oil from the threads down and the last one was covered with about 1/2 oil. is there any reason why the glow plugs would be soaked in oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say the o-rings got messed up when installing the injectors.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Normal when the injectors are messed with. You can never get all of the oil out of the cylinder when you clean it out before you install the new injector. The oil does not burn and it is shot out of the cylinder on the exhaust stroke with the exhaust. Makes a total mess. I put an old sweatshirt over my exhaust to catch the oily mist from getting all over everything.

If it does not stop within a couple of days, then check the O rings on the injectors.

Keep Strokin'
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 AM

i can understand that some oil would be shotting out the exhuast but from the puddle i saw just running it 15 sec i would be afraid to run it 10 miles and the pan being dry
Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 AM

I just had that problem about an hour ago. Turns out i didnt get one of my injectors seated well enough but it didnt cut or damage any o-rings. It drained about 1.5 quarts of oil out in about 5 minutes.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 AM

what did u do? just remove 1 injector at a time till u found it?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin_early_99 View Post
Normal when the injectors are messed with. You can never get all of the oil out of the cylinder when you clean it out before you install the new injector. The oil does not burn and it is shot out of the cylinder on the exhaust stroke with the exhaust. Makes a total mess. I put an old sweatshirt over my exhaust to catch the oily mist from getting all over everything.

If it does not stop within a couple of days, then check the O rings on the injectors.

Keep Strokin'
How much you did you lose over the couple of days?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
what did u do? just remove 1 injector at a time till u found it?
I just unplugged 2 injectors at a time untill i found the 2 that made the least amount of difference. (mine had a miss). then i pulled those 2 injectors and resealed them. One injector tip was hot from running and the other was a lot cooler. I just resealed them and hoped for the best. So i got lucky and it worked.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM

i went this morning to look at the injectors and it looks like the reason oil was shooting out the exhuast was that the #1 injector wasn't tightened down all the way so i torqued all the injectors down again and the cranked the truck over a couple of times and it finally started i let it run at about 1200 rpms for about 4-5 min and slowly i was able to get more rpms but i've run it for about 15 min and it revs out at 2500 and from idle to full throtle it takes a good 6-7 seconds to get there. i thought it would clear up the more i drove it but as soon as i put it in drive it maxed out at 1200 in first gear and not able to go over 10mph and theres not enough power to go up any kind of incline. it feels like i don't even have 10hp. when the engines running there a p1316 idm codes service engine soon light on but as soon as i turn the engine off the code goes away. before i replaced the injectors there weren't any codes now there is. what would i need to check?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 AM

i went this morning to work on it and i took the valve cover off the side i changed the injectors on and started the truck and the engine is only running on the 4 passanger side cylinders not one injector on the drivers side is firing i took the glow plug and injector harness off of the valve cover and checked for voltage while it was running on the 4 injector plug ins and all i got was .5 volts is there anything i can check to see what it might be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.