2000 Van just quits running after hitting bumps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Van just quits running after hitting bumps

I have an E350 van that just stops completely after hitting some bad bumps on a dirt road. this time I heard I pop pop sound and everything stopped, tried starting it, but only turned over a couple of times, with the sound of the chime dieing. then nothing. no radio, lights, anything!! Got towed home today, back onto more dirt roads, and of course it started when he let it down off the deck. I have already played with the relays. I replaced the fuel relay as I thought it was a fuel problem for a while, as in the beginning of this issue, I'll always had gauges working and it would turn over, just not start. I was and am getting at times a clicking sound coming from the power distribution box. I kinda just touched whichever one was clicking, today it was the PCM relay. switched it with a new one. Nothing changed. completely dead!! couldn't even get the hazard lights to work! these are 1 year old batteries.
this has been going on for a month now. first time I was towed home though. has always started in the past, after 2-3 tries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you checked all the electrical connections? Ground on the batts to the frame? Hot to their end point. GEM maybe.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looking at the grounds now, will let you know... thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the ground wire to the lower battery is a little loose to the starter bolt. I will remove, clean, and tighten tomorrow. However, I would like to think that I only need both batteries to start it. where's my hazard lights & low voltage items? when I put it start mode with the key, since it's night time, I noticed that all the dash/idiot lights are on very dim! when I turn the key back to off position, sometimes the chime starts to come back on but very weak, then stops. could this be an ignition switch problem?

will certainly clean the ground tomorrow AM, and I need all the help I can get as this is my work van.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Electrical issues do very strange things.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your assistance. Kept following the trail of wires & what a trail it was. It turned out to be a loose wire on what I'm going to call a transfer solenoid next to the upper battery. Apparently it also feeds the alternator etc. Once it was cleaned and everything tightened back up, no more problems.
thanks again,
Stephen
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 AM

I had a PSD in the shop for 3 days for the same problem, turned out to be the EPROM card in the back of the PCM. The customer swaped the factory card for a ATS card and the card would vibrate around on the mother board when hitting bumps.The factory uses tape to hold it in tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.