Power surge/misfire and EBP sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Power surge/misfire and EBP sensor

I've having a bit of an odd issue with my truck that i can't quite figure out. First off, around 1500 rpm i can feel the power of the engine surge a bit. Not really a misfire, just a rapid power surge. Not a huge one, but you can feel it. Mostly noticeable in 3rd gear after the converter locks driving through town at about 35-40 MPH.

Secondly, after running it hard, sometimes i get a miss at idle. Clears up as soon as i push the pedal. Does it in neutral/park and in gear. Otherwise, besides the power surge issue it runs fine, besides crap azz fuel mileage (15-16 if i BABY it, 13-14 normal driving), which brings me to my next question.

What exactly does the EBP sensor do, and what are normal readings for it? I have a hunch that maybe this has something to do with my issues, both the surge/misfire and piss poor fuel mileage. Key on engine off, the MAP reads 14.5 +/- whereas the EBP reads mid 20's. Id have to look at my data logs to find the exact number but regardless, that can't be right. I would think it should read either PSIG, which KOEO would be 0, or absolute, which would be 14.5 +/-.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 03:41 PM
PMR = JUNK

Sunday
Old 05-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clean your ebp tube and sensor. If you have the sensor hanging by the wires, cleaned it should read really close to map and baro. If not then you should put a new one on. EBP is used for fueling along with the map even though the book doesn't say it's used for anything except for ebp valve monitoring.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM
PMR = JUNK

Think that will fix my issues? I'll give it a shot tomorrow if i have time and report back. I wonder why the book would lie like that.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That's where I would start. I've seen it before. I just looked up a 04 with a 6.0 and it doesn't say that it uses it for fueling in there either, but it does.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM
PMR = JUNK

Well, put a different MAP and EBP sensor on it, still reading the same as i told you on the phone zach, except now EBP reads 19.xx KOEO. Still at 12.2 for MAP. I'm almost wondering if something is screwy in my PCM. We are gonna put my buddy's PCM in when we get time. His is a manual trans but engine sensors should read the same.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Hmm. that is interesting. I would suggest that you have a v-ref issue, but the baro reads normal. What's your icp voltage koeo (key on engine off)?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 AM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
Hmm. that is interesting. I would suggest that you have a v-ref issue, but the baro reads normal. What's your icp voltage koeo (key on engine off)?
What is v-ref? I'll check the ICP volts later today and report back.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was told I had an ebp issue as well I found a sensor or something unplugged at the front of my driver side valve cover right by the dip stick... Is that it my truck was throwing a P0472 code and through research I was told that it should be in close proximity of the map and anywhere between 14-17. I don't know where to monitor these things but any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was getting low boost on Vivian's looney I haven't hit that code again but boost seems low still no leaks but also at 25% throttle position I can de doing 65mph so I think that's the reason for my low boost.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.