Random No Crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random No Crank

A few weeks ago my truck decided to not start. All the lights came on as they should, when I turned the key to "start" the lights went off like normal. It just didn't crank. No clicking or anything. I made sure all the fuses were in. Nothing. Checked again and it started. Worked fine until today. Same thing, truck was warm, all lights come on. Checked all the fuses. The two closest to the firewall under the hood seemed to move around a lot, but they could not be pulled out without pliers. Nothing. Checked the starter relay coil fuse under the dash for a third time. Started this time. Started another 5 times after that today.

We're thinking starter solenoid or ignition switch... or the starter... and the checking the fuse is completely unrelated. (had a loose fuse issue before so that's the first thing I checked)

Any ideas?

Last edited by Tj Krawler; 05-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Mine has the same and in my case I just have to push the automatic transmission lever up while starting. Maybe it's the same thing?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Oops... Forgot to say that. Both times I took it out of park, all the way down to 1st and threw it back into park. Tried with the brake down as well.

I will try pushing it up next time. Unless I figure out what it is. The PCM fuse started the same way and slowly got worse until it was every time I tried to start it.

Last edited by Tj Krawler; 05-02-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 PM

You can provoke it by parking uphill. Or was it downhill?

Last edited by Mark_be; 05-03-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM

Flat both times. Someone mentioned in another thread about the neutral switch... How likely are they to only not work once in a while?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Truck didn't start again today. Put it in neutral, still nothing. Held the key over and pushed it up into park, nothing.

I remembered another truck we looked at and I think it did the same thing. I think it was the alarm not letting it start. I've never set the alarm off, and as far as I know it's never went off as long as I've owned it. Has anyone heard of the anti-theft not allowing the truck to start?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Didn't touch anything since yesterday. Pulled the panel under the steering wheel to see if there was any sort of aftermarket alarm. (dealers idea) Then 3 hours later I went to leave for work and it started right up.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck was doing this. If I held the key to the start position, it would EVENTUALLY start and cranked normally when it did. It could be anywhere from half a second to a few seconds, which seems like forever.

No clicks from the starter, it was doing exactly what you described. I changed the ignition switch with no change, then noticed that the truck was gradually cranking slower and slower, like weak batteries. Had the starter tested and rebuilt by a local shop (no Autozone garbage) and all is well.

It was an intermittant problem as well, starter shop said it was somewhat common on the 2 bolt starters.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just a thought, pull the steering column cover off and checked for chaffed wires around the gear selector. Its a common issue and know to cause sporadic problems..

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
aussie=effie

If I dont start mine within a short time after unlocking I have to push the fob button again ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.